Sunday, July 26, 2009

A CHARMED LIFE

Sally at Smiling Sally is once again hosting Blue Monday where everyone may post about the blue in their life. Be sure to check out Sally's blog for a list of the other participants. You may click on the pictures to enlarge.



When I was five years old, my parents bought me a silver bracelet with a little mailbox on it, as I loved getting mail from my grandmother who lived in another state. I would roll up a tiny piece of paper and put it in my little mailbox and pretend I had received mail that day.

Over the years, I would often receive charms to add to my bracelet from my parents.


As life events happened, silver disks with dates were added such as when Bob and I started going 'steady' in high school, when we got engaged, and then when we married. There are disks for each of our children and grand children with their name and birth date engraved. There is a charm from our college and one from my sorority. Places we have lived and visited are represented. That tiny bit of BLUE on my bracelet is a map of Montana where we lived for five years.


One of my favorites is a little house Bob gave me engraved with Nov. 15, 1962, the date we bought our first house. The newest charms are ones we bought on Portobello Road in London and at the Eiffel Tower in Paris when we were on our 50th wedding anniversary trip. There are now 43 charms on my bracelet.


It really has been a CHARMED life. I'm continuously amazed how joyful and content I feel about my life, and I thank God each day for my blessings.

Sally

P.S.: I'm going to take a little break from blogging to enjoy my charmed life by unplugging. Maybe I'll eat breakfast on the porch instead of in front of the computer or I might even go somewhere without my camera and cell phone! At any rate, please check back in a week or two. I have a post planned about our trip this past weekend to attend the Antiques Roadshow in Denver. What a fun experience that was!! Stay tuned.

26 comments:

Elaine said...

What a sweet charm bracelet. Isn't it fun to look at all the charms and reminisce about those good times in your life?

Looks like you have lots of happy memories. Great post.

Enjoy your blogging break.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

What a fun braclet my friend...like a bit of your lifes history...Can't wait to hear about the Antique roadshow and Girl you get some rest...I am off tomorrow to Texas for over a week myself...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Unknown said...

What a wonderful lifetime of memories that you can carry around so easily! Enjoy your blogging break.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love this, Sally. Your bracelet is fabulous absolutely fabulous!!!

Enjoy your break. I enjoyed my tiny little break last week. It certainly made a difference, recharging!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely way to store memories. Enjoy your time away from the computer. We all need a break now and then,

SmilingSally said...

Your charm bracelet is the nicest one I've seen. I clicked on the picture and hunted until I spotted the mailbox. How special! Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.


Breakfast without a computer? Can that be done? Hmm, I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful braclet just full of warm and wonderful memories. A treasure indeed. I hope you enjoy your break. Enjoy the sun shine.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

I'm taking a break too. You have a very nice bracelet there. Enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Knitty said...

I have always liked charm bracelets. Have a wonderful time on your blog break. :)

annies home said...

what a great charm braclet looks like it has been going for quite a while

Sharlotte said...

I loved your post. Your charm bracelet is beautiful!I have a bracelet that my parents gave me when I was little but I haven't kept up with events like you have. Yours is very special! What great stories to share with friends as they admire your lovely "memory" bracelet!

niartist said...

You know Sally, I feel like I need to do the same thing - unplug for a bit. My brain hurts, and I feel like I need to get out there and create something instead of write about wanting to. :) And for DesignStar, yeah - can you believe that!?!?! When it comes to ratings, I guess they'll do whatever it takes.

Miranda said...

Beautiful bracelet. I have a couple too, I'd actually forgotten about. One is loaded, I want to go home now and go look at it ;)

Anonymous said...

Pretty bracelet that is full of sweet memories...Happy Blue Monday and enjoy your break!!
~Lynn♥

Becky K. said...

HAve a wonderful break. Your bracelet is so filled with memories. How special.

Becky K.
Hospitality Lane

imjacobsmom said...

Sally, this is really cool. I have a charm bracelet from my childhood and teenage years that has been long forgotten. I now have to dig it out and look at it. I love the charms with the special dates and your new vacation charms. ~ Robyn

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a lovely charm bracelet! We started one for our daughter a few years ago but she's just not into jewelry so it's stalled for now. Hopefully as she gets older she'll become interested in it.

Have a wonderful break!

Manuela

xinex said...

So much memories in that bracelet, Sally. Neat! I also collect charms aNd buy one in every country that we visit. But they get so heavy so I have divided them. I have 1 gold and 2 silvers now. I like what your hubby gave you THE BEST, the house with dates inscribed in it. How sweet!...Christine

xinex said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sally. I will post my bracelets for 3 or more next Tues. if you want to see them. I will be home by then...Christine

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Oh Sally what memories this bracelet must hold for you! What a treasure!!!

I also enjoyed your tablescape post...cute!

Sue said...

Hi Sally....I am fine just visiting the fam in Jersey and I didn't bring my computer...so we have 4 of us fighting over the one...Your bracelet is fabulous...I did a blog sometime back about the charm bracelet of mine with all the state charms....Your's is wonderful...Not getting back to Ga. until the 6th...but will have lots of pictures to post....we had a nice trip to Williamsburg on the ride up and I got lots of great pictures....Sue.

Sue said...

Hi Sally....I am fine just visiting the fam in Jersey and I didn't bring my computer...so we have 4 of us fighting over the one...Your bracelet is fabulous...I did a blog sometime back about the charm bracelet of mine with all the state charms....Your's is wonderful...Not getting back to Ga. until the 6th...but will have lots of pictures to post....we had a nice trip to Williamsburg on the ride up and I got lots of great pictures....Sue.

Sue said...

Hi Sally....I am fine just visiting the fam in Jersey and I didn't bring my computer...so we have 4 of us fighting over the one...Your bracelet is fabulous...I did a blog sometime back about the charm bracelet of mine with all the state charms....Your's is wonderful...Not getting back to Ga. until the 6th...but will have lots of pictures to post....we had a nice trip to Williamsburg on the ride up and I got lots of great pictures....Sue.

Teresa said...

I have one of those too. It's wonderful the memories it evokes.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Your charm bracelet looks so much like mine, and even some of the charms (especially the engraved disks look similar to mine). It was such fun to see yours. Makes me want to go get mine out and look at it. laurie

Susie Q said...

This is a treasure sally! I too have one, one that my Grandmother started for me when I ws 6 or seven. I haven't worn it in awhile but it is safely kept inmy jewlery box. Maybe I need to re-visit it and wear it again...might have to add a few links to it as my wrists are a tad but chubbier now! *laugh*
Love,
Sue