Sunday, September 12, 2010

LAST REPORT ON THE ESTATE SALE

I bet all of you are tired of hearing about the estate sale that I have been helping with the last two months. I promise this is the last post on the subject! We are ready to open the doors for the two-day sale this coming weekend. The ad in the paper says, "Treasures from 34 Countries; Tools to Tuxedos; The Elegant to the Ordinary!" That about sums it up.

And now, to finish up showing you the rest of the things I bought at the presale.

The deceased was a well-traveled, accomplished woman.
I bought these three watercolors that she had done as a teenager in the 1920s. They are inscribed on the back as gifts to her mother.

I've always been attracted to amateur paintings, plus these three have nice, old frames.
Then, from the $.50 - $1.00 table I bought the following:
An old red tea tin and a little Tum's container.

A small snuff bottle with the cork intact and a great label. The large brown jar used for canning was originally a cocoa jar.

Also, from the $.50 - $1.00 table a wooden hanger from the Grand Hotel in Paris. I love this as we have stayed by the St. Lazare Station in Paris (but not at the Grand Hotel)!

For $10, I bought this Irish wool throw.

AND NOW -------- my big purchase!

I bought 101 pieces of Johnson Bros. Friendly Village dishes. I had a few pieces of this pattern that I had picked up in the past, but now I have enough to feed an army. You can't have too many dishes, can you?

I really had to work at moving dishes around to find room for 101 more. But, like I told my husband -- you can always find room for more dishes.

And that is it -- I have pretty well shot my wad, for a while anyways!

I'm joining in with Rhoda at Southern Hospitality
for the Thrifty Treasures party

and

Linda at Coastal Charm
for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays.

Please check out these two wonderful blogs for more thrifty treasures.

14 comments:

Mitzi said...

I am soooo jealous. I just love Johnson Brothers china. What a wonderful set you bought...right down to the salt and pepper shakers. I love the scenes on these dishes. Lucky you.

Marilyn said...

Now that would be a great sale to attend. I can only imagine the work involved! Thanks for sharing your new treasures. ♥♫

onlymehere said...

Oh my, I love Johnson Brothers! I have their Victorian Christmas dishes and would love to get more. You found some treasures to be sure!
Cindy

Lori Lucas said...

I am SOOOOOO jealous too. What a wonderful find. And 101 pieces? Be still my heart. Congrats. Lori L

Anonymous said...

Oh those dishes are going to make a fantastic table setting!!!

I am trying to figure out a way to get to the estate sale this next weekend. Do you know the times and address? I have to work Friday but was thinking maybe Sat or Thursday as we may have to go to Pueblo anyways.

Yes I am so looking forward to getting you all down this way! I have to say that The house is not in the condition I would like it as we have been so busy but I am sure you have seen dust before!

Bee blessed
mary

SmilingSally said...

I KNOW that you're thrilled with those "new" dishes.

PAT said...

Fabulous Sally!! I love it all and of course best of all I love those dishes! Yep, there is always room for one more dish...or three...or four...

Pam Kessler said...

Oh my, those dishes are great. Those will be perfect for Thanksgiving.

bj said...

OMGosh, Sally...those dishes...they are wonderful. So glad you got them.
I like everything you bought.!

Susie Q said...

Oh, oh, oh! I love all your treasures Sally! I know you are just smiling so wide about your finds! I love them all.
I have been a terrible friend of late I know. I hope you can forgive me as I try to get back on track blogging! But you are always in my thoughts...
Love,
Sue

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

oooh 101 Johnson Bros dishes! Lovely! I have that pattern and love to use it in the winter.

Manuela

Anonymous said...

HI Sally! Oh, I'm a tad envious knowing you got first dibs at all the wonderful stuff! Those paintings are very nice. She was talented!
The little tins and bottles are nice. But...those dishes! Oh, I'm wild about those! What a bunch - 101 pieces? Man! what fun. We could all come over and each have our own individual plate! :)
Oh, I'm thrilled you'll come to my Heart of the Home Party! I love your kitchen and can't wait to see it again! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh Sally, the only reason I could get upset about reading another one of these estate sale posts is that I want to go to this sale SO badly. Each time you post another treasure that you bought, I want to pack my bags and get to this sale! What wonderful buys! Can you believe what an accomplished artist she was at that age? How wonderful to have those. And I can't believe the great buys from the 50 cent to $1 table! I have always loved Friendly Village. When my sister and I were teens, we bought that set for my mother for a Christmas gift. We were sooo proud of ourselves! My daughter now has the set. What a find to get that many in one place. (What are you going to do with yourself after this sale is over - besides resting!) laurie

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I am crazy about that brown jar! Fabulous!! Looks like you had fun!!