Thursday, January 19, 2012

Copy Cat Pillow

 Back in the 1950s as a teenager, I inherited a bunch of stuff from my step-great-grandmother including furniture and paintings.  They were my first antiques, and started me on a life-long collecting journey.  Among those belongings from her was this small embroidery with painted accents.  She was a talented painter, and I assume she made this.  I've always wanted to do something with it, and recently found this image below in an old November 2007 Romantic Homes magazine.
I decided to incorporate the embroidery into a pillow.   
 I'm always looking for ways to make things out of what I have on hand.  So, I used muslin scraps plus plaid fabric from an old 100% wool Pendleton skirt.
 My grandmother's button box did not yield any suitable buttons, so I asked Bob to make me some out of his supply of twigs.  I think the buttons turned out perfect for this pillow.
I love the completed project and it is so suitable for our Colorado home! 
I'm partying with the following blogs.  Please stop by these blogs for a plethora of inspiration.
2805 for Potpourri Friday
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Debbiedoos for Copy Cat Challenge Monday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Very Merry Vintage Style for Share the Love Wednesday

11 comments:

Marilyn said...

Great buttons! The plaid is a good match for the project, too.♥♫

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to use your grandmother's linen Sally. And what a great idea of having Bob make those darling buttons out of twigs- they are just perfect for the pillow!!You are so talented friend!!

Has it been crazy windy there like it has been here?

We had 7 new people come in to the clothing pantry today-it seems there has been an influx of people moving in- I think we had 1/2 dozen new people come the last time we were open! Makes me wonder what is bringing them- it certainly isn't jobs!

bee blessed
mary

bj said...

This is a precious pillow. Good for you. I love having things that mean something. I love the plaid and the buttons just made the whole thing.

Yep, I wore rings on chains, football jackets, and had lots of saved Valentine boxes from boyfriends. Like you say, good memories. ;)))

Sue said...

Okay....I want this pillow left to me in your will...
I don't care who else wants it....it's mine!!
Between the plaid.....the rustic picture and the wooden buttons....That Bob actually made your serious!!!
It's wonderful....
Sue Saulmon
long lost sister.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Gorgeous! I love that pillow and the buttons are perfect. What a wonderful way to keep vintage linens current!

Debbiedoos said...

Oh how cute! What a neat idea. You did a great job. I thank you so much for sharing in the fun magazine copy cat challenge. ENJOY!~:)

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

That turned out awesome! Love the buttons, what a clever idea. Visiting from Debbie's Copy Cat Challenge party.

bj said...

Back again to say come see my copy cat...so fun, this Magazine Copy Cat...
xo bj

Honey at 2805 said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing this wonderful post at Potpourri Friday!

Anonymous said...

Love the pillow Sally. The buttons and plaid are wonderful.

WhyCuzICan said...

How precious! And meaningful for your family--thanks SO much for sharing :D

Visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tue Party 98 at Linda's Coastal Charm,
~Suzanne in NW Illinois