Tuesday, April 23, 2013

DROP CLOTH CURTAINS

I know I'm late to the drop cloth party, but decided it was time to try them out as a fabric choice.  I read extensively on the web about using them before I started.  I ended up purchasing two of these drop cloths from Sherwin-Williams.
 After the research, I was prepared for all of the ironing necessary; but that turned into nothing more than a little steam pressing.  What I didn't expect was after five trips through the washer and dryer, the hems were frayed in spots.
 So, it was necessary to go ahead and sew normal hems -- one inch on the sides and three inches on the bottom rather than just using the narrow hems that were there.
 In the end I think this worked to my advantage; because with the heftier hems, the curtains hang really well.

I'm really pleased with the weight, color, and texture of the drop cloths. And, of course, the price can't be beat.
I knew these panels needed to be simple, as there is a lot going on in this guest room.   The mini-makeover of the room is continuing!
IT'S TUESDAY, IT MUST BE SNOWING.  Yes, for the 5th Tuesday in a row, it is snowing in Colorado.  

I'm joining the following:
Primp for Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
No Minimalist Here for Thursday Open House
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

11 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Those look great. Amazing, aren't they? It is snowy here today, too. UGH!!!! xo Diana

Marigene said...

They look great...I had thought of doing them, but dreaded the ironing of six panels!

Marilyn said...

I need to replace some drapes in Sarah's bedroom and this looks like a good plan. Will need to look for a SW store...I think there is one in Fort Morgan! Yes, I understand this will be our 5th or 6th start to spring. The sun did come out this afternoon and melted most of our snow. The lawns are looking so lush now. And it was great for the wheat!♥♫

srpprcrftr said...

Your curtains look great,love how you folded over for a valance, like that look. I've wondered how they'd look if they were dyed. I'm thinking of maybe stenciling then add some trim on the sides and/or at bottom of the valance. I can never leave something alone, always seem to have to change things. Something to think about. You've inspired me seeing yours.
We had snow last weekend. We live about 18 miles west of Grand Junction. It's been nicer but still nippy, at least we've had sunshine. Durn cold killed my pretty purple hyacinths tho. It's hard to get anything to grow as we have mucho alcali. Happy Days

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I just love them and always want to try them, you make it look so easy:)

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

The curtains look fantastic! I really like the heftier weight and texture of the fabric. The valance at the top is a nice touch too.

Elaine said...

It's funny my sister just mentioned drop cloth curtains to me. She wants to put them in her new studio for an industrial chic look.

Yours came out great. And like you said the price can't be beat!

Carol said...

They turned out really great--I like them. I have been thinking about these for our back porch so maybe I'll go ahead and do it. Have a great week! Carol

Unknown said...

I think the hem helped them hang great too! I love them. They look beautiful in your room.

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

I love drop cloths but never thought of making curtains out of them! They are gorgeous!! I’d love it if you could link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 5 blogs}
http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-party-6.html
Have a great week!
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Thanks so much for sharing your thrifty drapes at my party...luv them!

Blessings,
Linda