Friday, April 11, 2014

COWBOY CAVIAR

There are a plethora of recipes out there for Cowboy Caviar (also known as Texas/Mexican Caviar).  We love it and find it addicting.  
It's a great recipe as you can add and subtract ingredients depending on your family's tastes.  I've heard that it's also good with black beans or pinto beans, celery, cilantro, etc. 

This is the recipe I adapted for my family:

Cowboy Caviar
2 - cans (15 oz) black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 - can (15 oz) regular yellow corn, drained
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced purple onion
Chopped pickled jalapeno slices to taste
1 cup Italian dressing (homemade or purchased)
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together.  Chill overnight.
This dish is versatile.  It can be used as a salsa, a dip on corn chips; on chopped lettuce, or just as is for salad.  It's just good from a spoon standing over the kitchen sink!

As a youngster, do you suppose Cowboy Bob had caviar on the farm?
He sure likes it now!
I'm sharing this yumminess on the following:
Pieced Pastimes for Saturday Sparks
Smiling Sally for Blue Monday
The Comforts of Home for Tasty Tuesday
Confessions of a Plate Addict for The Scoop Tuesday
Our Home Away from Home for Tuesdays At Our Home
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday
Green Willow Pond for What We Accomplished Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for WOW Us Wednesdays
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
Imparting Grace for Grace at Home Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Common Ground for Be Inspired Friday
Rattlebridge Farm for Foodie Friday
Nancherrow for Fridays Unfolded

8 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Love your blue dishes.

Have a Happy Blue Monday and an excellent Easter celebration!

SarahBeth said...

Boy does that sound good! Definitely going to make it... I'll probably add black beans to the mix. Cowboy Bob looks like he devoured quite a lot of Cowboy Caviar -- we know this because of the grin on his face!

Marie said...

Wow! These foodies are very foreign to me but they look so delicious!

I'm here for Blue Monday. Here's my Blue Monday post; Me as The Tour Guide

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That looks like something I would love! Thanks for sharing this on Tasty Tuesday!

Fluster Buster said...

WOW, that sounds sooooo yummy! Thank you for sharing at Fluster's #CreativeMuster. I hope that you'll come back and share with us again.
Hugs, Smiles & Blessings,
Robin @ Fluster Buster

Anne said...

And I have a pound of black eyed peas I was wondering what to do with... That looks good.

Here from Rattlebridge Farms Fodie Friday

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Cowboy Bob is too cute! I have a few fun photos of my hubby similar to that. Now days kids don't get to play cowboys and Indians. People freak out if they see a kid with a toy gun. Kind of sad that it's came to that. We love Cowboy Caviar and do use black beans. I am pinning your recipe to try. Thanks for sharing it with SYC Sally. Hope you had a wonderful Easter.
hugs,
Jann

Richella Parham said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I've pinned it to my appetizer board. And thanks for joining Grace at Home--I'm featuring you this week!