Monday, July 28, 2014

A CHANGE OF SCENERY

I've felt really yucky the last two weeks fighting a couple of infections -- not much energy, etc.

However, we had previously planned a trip to Denver to take place over the past weekend to do some of our favorite things like antique and/or junk hunting.  It was the weekend of the big antique show at the Denver Merchandise Mart; so I decided to suck it up, and we should go anyway.  I was past being infectious.

Maybe what I needed was a change of scenery!


The antique show was great, as usual, quite high-end and way above our usual price point.  But, enjoyable none the less -- we didn't buy a thing.  But who doesn't like just looking at the beauty of Tiffany lamps and amazing antique jewelry?


After the show and with my low energy level, we only hit one antique mall; then headed to our hotel.   I love staying at a hotel.  We don't frequent the expensive, resort type; but do like a good mid-level establishment.  We don't participate in any of the amenities - just enjoy a different surrounding.  This one was very nice - a suite, complete with a fireplace, two TVs, and even a dishwasher.  I think loving it has something to do with not having to wipe down the shower and make the bed!


I was finally getting my taste for food back, but not really hungry.  My choice -- the appetizer menu -- a wonderful flat bread with boursin and Monterrey jack cheeses, grilled tomatoes and portobello mushrooms, and arugula with a reduced balsamic glaze.  Perfect!

The next day, we hit a couple more antique malls, then home.
I only made one purchase -- this Johnson Bros. brown transferware bread plate for $4.48.  It is currently being auditioned for the perfect place in our home.



It's amazing what a change in surroundings and a piece of brown transferware can do for your health. 

Oh yeah, and a boat load of antibiotics!!



I'm joining the following:
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Inspire Me Monday
Confessions of a Plate Addict for The Scoop Tuesday
Our Home Away from Home for Tuesdays at our Home
Coastal Charm for Show and Share Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
Knick of Time Interiors for Knick of Time Vintage Tuesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for WOW Us Wednesdays
From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
Nancherrow for Fridays Unfolded
Southern Hospitality for Thrifty Treasures

4 comments:

Sue said...

Poor Sally....nobody is suppose to get sick in the summer...hope you are on the mend..but glad to hear you felt well enough to get junking.....love the plate and your such a big spender....but it's always the thrill of the hunt more then what you spend....feel better...

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. Sounds like the get away was just what the Dr. ordered. lol! Love the new transferware and all of your gorgeous photos! So glad that you will be linking it to SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Elaine said...

Glad you are starting to feel better.

With all that antiquing, you have had amazing restraint. I am not sure I would have had such self control.

Oooh, brown transferware. I love it. Will be especially nice for the Fall and Thanksgiving.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh,Sally, so sorry that you are feeling down, I'm in the throes of bronchitis myself. No fun!
but... your transfer ware piece is
amazing! Great find and a great deal.Feel better.
Hugs,
Patti