Saturday, February 6, 2016

JANUARY INTO FEBRUARY RANDOMNESS

Not much inspiration to post about recently, so I have been blog-negligent.  But, here is some randomness.

#1:  Someone gave this little chest to Bob recently.  I love any kind of box or tool tote that was homemade originally for the workshop, but I commandeered this one for my sewing room.  It joins the other little chest on the right with thread spool knobs.
The new chest didn't come to us with any drawer pulls.  We found a bag of wooden thread spools for a couple of dollars; and by cutting them in half, they became the perfect knobs. 

#2:  I've been holed up in my sewing room recently.  By avoiding the cold, windy, and wet weather, my asthma is kept at bay.  That's a good thing all around, as there is not much that I like better than staying at home and sewing.
I've been working on a new quilt since last September.  It is a sampler quilt of 64 different blocks that I have used in my quilts over the last 35 years.  I've thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of sizing my patterns down to 5" blocks - it has my math brain working overtime.
 I just finished the upper right quadrant (above) of the quilt top,  and it will join the left half of the quilt when I finish up the last 16 blocks.

#3:  It's birthday time again --- grandson, Wyatt, turns 14 this week.  Yes, he is tall at 6 foot already.   A snack for him after school is a meatloaf sandwich, chips, fruit or dessert, and two glasses of something to drink -- then I either send him home for dinner, or if he begs I feed him again -- lots of salad, meat, potatoes, etc!
Working on extra-credit project for history class!
He thinks the middle school has a dance on Valentine's every year to just celebrate his birthday!!

It's always difficult to get a decent picture of this goof-ball.  His sister can only get a silly smile out of him!! 
Happy Birthday, Wyatt!!  And, Happy Valentine's Day to our two special 'heart tuggers'.

#4:  Back to the sewing room.  My mind is full of ideas for when I finish this quilt.  Never at a loss for keeping busy.  This mother is always making something.

I'm joining the following:
Smiling Sally for Blue Monday
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday 
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday

7 comments:

bj said...

Happy "Birthday to your handsome fella...and his sis is so pretty.
That quilt is absolutely a work of art...you are the best quilt maker.
I have a few questions about making one myself and will send them to you in an email..sure would appreciate your wisdom in this as I am such a nit-wit when it comes to sewing.
I love that new chest and the knobs are genius...you and Bob make a fine pair.
I sure would like to come back to your part of the country this summer...we were so busy last summer with Bill building the greenhouse/storage room/shop, that we didn't take a vacation until October...
Tell your handsome sweetie Bob hi for us.
xoxo

bj said...

YA'LL WONE...YAY....

SmilingSally said...

Hi Sally,

You have some good-looking grandkids too! Wyatt is a lucky lad to have a grandma who feeds him so well.

I love your sewing room. I noticed a framed page from a reader using Sally as a character. What a nifty idea! (I wish that I had thought of it!)

Your quilt certainly is stunning.

Thanks for playing today.

Have a Beautiful Blue Monday!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy birthday to your grandson! He looks like a very happy and handsome young man. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous.

joyh82 said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet grandson. A meatloaf sandwich sounds awesome to me right now.
Hope you have a great week!
Joy @ Books and Life

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, your quilting skills are phenomenal! It really is gorgeous!! Happy Birthday to Wyatt. Our youngest son was born on Valentines and his name is Dalan. So he calls it, "Dalantines Day'. lol! Love the little chest and the knobs are perfect! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Art and Sand said...

I don't have children at home any longer, but I remember the days when it seemed like the fridge and cupboards were always empty.

Your quilt is gorgeous - glad it kept you in the house and the asthma in control - I too suffer from asthma.

Thanks for Sharing Your Cup!