Sunday, October 22, 2017

OUT AND ABOUT LOOKING FOR BROWN TRANSFERWARE

We had not been to Denver for awhile to check out our favorite antique mall, but since we were in northern Colorado had to stop in!  We don't buy much anymore, but I still like to look for bargains in brown transferware.

On the first aisle I spotted this large platter with a late 1800s Alfred Meakin mark.  It is in good shape ---- the price just $6.  Even though it is the lighter (almost rust) brown; at that price how could I refuse?

One of the things that has always appealed to me about brown transferware is the variety of patterns and color.  This stack shows some of the platters that I have ----- and I'm always looking for more.  How many do I need?
After the rust-colored platter I picked up this bowl with a simple aesthetic pattern but an intricate border.  The manufacturer mark indicates that it is from the T and R Boote Co. of England.


 It has a 'kite' mark on the back with the pattern name (Summer Time); and the numbers and letters indicate that it was manufactured of earthenware on November 26, 1878.
I should stop this obsession, but I so enjoy the occasional find! They are all so different.

I'm joining Jann Olson at Have a Daily Cup for Thursday's Share a Cup.

2 comments:

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, I know that you have slowed down, but I love that you still collect your gorgeous transferware. I keep telling myself I should down size, but just can't bring myself to do it yet. My treasures just make me happy! :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Catching up with you! Love to see your new pieces. That platter is just luscious! I love the rusty color best. Funny how addictive brown transferware can be. SO hard to pass up a good buy!