Friday, September 7, 2018

A LABOR OF LOVE

60 years ago today, Bob and I got married -- a milestone today that I didn't even imagine possible in our youth.  Below is a copy of the blog post I wrote 3 years ago on our 57th anniversary which happened to be on Labor Day that year.

 Here is what I was thinking that day so many years ago.

Thought #1:  I remember waking up being thankful it was a beautiful day.  The reception after the ceremony was to be at my parent's house; which was big, but still couldn't accommodate 300 people.  The overflow was going to be in the backyard.  I knew I needed to talk to Bob first thing on the phone to see if he was as nervous as I was (he was!).  The rest of the morning and early afternoon was a blur.  Maybe a little too much celebrating the evening before at the rehearsal party!

Thought #2:  Arriving at the church, I couldn't believe how beautiful it looked -- and the smell with all of those fresh flowers was, indeed, heavenly.
Thought #3:  My mother (on my right) looked so beautiful in that emerald green peau-de-soie silk dress.  Our wedding was the day after her 39th birthday -- I thought she was pretty and young enough to be the bride.
September 7, 1958
Thought #4:  And there was Bob -- I couldn't believe he wanted to marry ME.  He was one of the 'popular' boys in our class - you know -- Senior Class President, jock, etc.  I was just one of the 'smart' kids.  But, I knew nothing about marriage and how to make it work.  I did know, however, he deserved my best efforts.   His family and mine lived on the same street, two doors down from each other.  All of the little old ladies on the block didn't think it would last -- we were so young.
And so, I learned to make meat loaf, bake a potato, and fix a salad!  
And, he kept all of his promises to me.

 The rest is history with a lot of meat loaf along the way.

It's been a "Labor of Love"!


We've truly been blessed.
Now I'm off to finish preparations for our big hoopla/reception to be held tomorrow for our friends and family to join in celebration with us!!
I'm joining the following:
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday

2 comments:

Jan said...

Happy Anniversary! May it be a day of joy, good memories, family and friends!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Congratulations! I hope it was a wonderful day for you! Sixty years really needs a lot of hoopla!