Thursday, December 19, 2019

CHRISTMAS COMES BUT ONCE A YEAR ---

AND WHEN IT COMES, IT BRINGS GOOD CHEER!

Oh! what a memory --- I was about 4 or 5 years old, and it was Christmas Eve at the Presbyterian Church.  We always had a children's program; and then Santa Claus would appear in the upstairs balcony coming off the roof through a window.  He would have a bag of candy for each child.  I was always excited.  This particular year in the program, I was to say the above little poem -- "Christmas comes but once a year, and when it comes, it brings good cheer".  Unfortunately, stuck in my mind was the wrong poem that my babysitter had taught me which I said instead.  "I'm a cute little girl with a cute little figure, stand back boys until I get a little bigger!"  Naturally, my parents and especially my staid  
grandparents were embarrassed beyond words.  My Sunday School teacher was flustered; the audience laughing continued; but I thought I was pretty cute oblivious to what I had just said.
Needless to say, a few words were delivered to me when we got home.  

Now celebrating my 82nd Christmas, it is a good thing that the Christmas season only comes once a year.  The excitement and work to prepare for December 25 is almost too much for this old body.  But, the good news is that we can celebrate the birth of Jesus every single day all year long!

Here are few photos from this years preparation and celebration. 

Our grandson, Wyatt is always a big help.

Wyatt had a party at our house for his friends, their parents and siblings, and his mentors.  He wanted to thank this lively group for their year-long friendship and support.  It was a good thing we made lots of food --- I always forget how much teenagers can eat.
After the party was over, I've had to really knuckle down to get my shopping and gift sewing done.

Now, it is my favorite time of the season --- the last week before Christmas day --- the third and fourth weeks of advent. 
Thankfully, the work is almost done except for the Christmas day dinner.  We can relax, and enjoy the season with our family at the church services this week.  A nap, or two, may also be in order.

Some more scenes around our house ---






JOY TO THE WORLD!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE.












No comments: