Saturday, August 22, 2020

PANDAMIC, ETC.

Pandemic!  Has it only been eight months ago that the word inched it's way into our everyday language?  It seems like an eternity, doesn't it?

So a few changes to our lifestyle and routines have happened here at the Salmagundi household --- To begin with in February, I was quite sick with respiratory issues and symptoms similar to what we now know as covid. The doctors at the time couldn't figure it out; was it the virus?  We're not sure, but it knocked me for a loop; and slowed me down. I finally was able to sufficiently recover in March.  Fortunately for me, my training as an only child and an original latch-key kid during the l940-1950s; I actually enjoy semi-isolation and am prepared to entertain myself in this new reality and find joy in life.  

My go-to time beyond child rearing and household chores has always been my ability to sew.  'Stay at Home' orders only enhanced that available time for me.  I have been able to make several quilts expanding my creative energy.  It has also allowed me time to expand my computer time to communicate with old friends.  And, I have spent a lot more time reading and listening to news awakening an interest in political history.  And, of course, there is always solitaire.  I learned to play several types of solitaire 75 years ago to entertain myself.  I can't deny I'm addicted still playing several games a day!!

Bob and I will quietly celebrate our 62nd wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks.  So, I'm not totally isolated. He has taken on the shopping to help protect me from unnecessary contact with the public which has been a blessing.  We've had a learning curve, but we're getting there!! I still do most of the cooking, but he has stepped up in that discipline, also. He also does all of the outside work, which I have never enjoyed anyway.  I love my beautiful view of our yard and his efforts from the big window in my sewing room. 

The kids ---- Our oldest child, Mike the math and science teacher, has had his own experience with the pandemic.  Beginning with the abrupt switch to remote teaching in the Spring; then the summer of uncertainty about how to proceed.  He, also, had his planned trip to Europe with students cancelled.  His small school district will now start the school year with a plan -- the teachers in the class room four days a week with remote video of lectures for those online, but with the kids who have elected to return to school in the classroom. They have a new, large, beautiful school building, so there is room in his classroom for 20 students including social distancing.  Of course, once a mother, always a mother; so I'm concerned about his probability of contracting the virus. Next week will be the first week of classes, and I'm anxious to hear how it goes!  Jenni, our daughter and the mother of our grandchildren, has had to endure 'empty nest syndrome' this summer.  Her oldest, Caitlin, is still at home; but only sleeps and showers there as she is super busy with her work at our local hospital conglomerate.  And, now Caitlin has added full-time college to study for her RN to her full-time job schedule.  The biggest change to all of our lives has involved our youngest grandchild -- Wyatt.  He was a senior in high school this year, which covid disrupted all of the fun activities of being a senior --- prom, fun fest, etc. He managed to graduate with honors by remote learning the last 2 months of school.  He had early-enlisted in the Navy a year ago with an entry date of 6-14-2020.  Because of the pandemic, high school graduation was moved to July 30th.  He had already left for the Navy, so even missed the graduation ceremony.  He was in two weeks quarantine and then six weeks of boot camp in Chicago, with only a couple of scripted phone calls and limited letters. They surrender their cell phones at the beginning of quarantine and only get them back when they are sent to their schooling.  He is now in school in Connecticut, enjoying a little more freedom and new challenges.  Limited communication was hard on all of us; but now we can enjoy texts, phone calls, and face-time.

We've ALL changed and grown in our own reality of life experiences.

That brings me to this blog.  I no longer really have the experiences that support this type of blog.  So, my posts will be slim or even non-existent in the future.  I plan to continue my Quilting Blog, https://qbits-salmagundi.blogspot.com/ , as a way to document my new quilts because I'm still able to sew daily.

This blog was begun in 2008 -- it's been fun and a great way to journal some of my experiences and family history.  I cherish the friends I have made, and the inspiration and knowledge they have provided.

Now that we are a Navy family again, "Bon Voyage" -- may we meet again!!!

My grandfather, Lovell Maddex, a sailor in WW1, 1918

3 comments:

Global India Express said...

Thank you for sharing such a post!
International Courier

A Romantic Porch said...

Sally, I appreciate you for visiting my blog. You know I've always admired you. It truly has been a tough year and I'm sorry for all the changes. I'm going to visit your quilt blog. I don't think I've been there

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, I am so sorry that you had to go through this!! You are a sweetheart and I’m so happy we became blog friends!! Congrats to your grandson.
Hugs,
Jann