Tuesday, December 15, 2009

THE BOTTLE BRUSH TREE EXPERIENCE

I'm in love with the IDEA of crafting, but I'm just not very good at it. Give me thread and fabric and I can create; but glitter, glue, and I have never learned how to play together very well. But, I was so intrigued with Manuela of The Pleasures of Homemaking
and her bottle-brush bleaching project that I just had to try it.

I didn't take any pictures of the bleaching process, because Manuela's tutorial is so good - you can click here
to follow her instructions. Basically you buy those little non-plastic bottle-brush trees that are made to accessorize villages. Then you put them in a combination of bleach and water until they turn white. Rinse them in water, and let them dry. From this point on, they can be dyed with Rit dye and/or decorated any way you want.

I chose to leave mine white and glitter them. The thing that I did different was to remove their little white plastic bases, and replace them with wooden blocks that I decoupaged with scrapbook paper. I then covered the blocks with two coats of Mod Podge to seal. We predrilled holes in the blocks and reinserted the wire stems in with a dab of Elmer's glue.

I am enjoying my finished trees, and have given some away as gifts.

I'm still not too fond of the glittering and gluing process, but had lots of fun choosing the scrapbook papers.

Since Susan of A Southern Daydreamer is allowing indoor decorations during the month of December, I'm linking to Outdoor Wednesday
for this week's party.
Be sure to check out Susan's blog for a list of the other participants.

18 comments:

PAT said...

Sally I love these. I should give this a try. Maybe I'll go "tree shopping" at the after Christmas sales.

O my goodness the oranges smell so good. J has no sense of smell. I was trying to describe how good the scent is.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

These are really wonderful...I would LOVE to receive one of these as a gift. Thank you for showing us how to put them together.

Anonymous said...

Why Sally, I think you've found another calling! These little trees turned out so precious! Now that was so creative to cover the little wooden boxes with the scarpbooking paper! Darling!
Be a sweetie and yes, you are a crafter!
Shelia ;)

LV said...

I know I will not venture out to making these. I did enjoy yours and learning the process you went through. Yours turned great.

Unknown said...

you have amazing creative hands! the brush trees look festive!

C'est moi Claudette said...

WOW Sally I made some also, but never thought of putting them on such pretty pedestals. Very nice.
Happy OW
Love Claudie
xox
P.S. I've never been here before, nice.

Light and Voices said...

Lovely blog!
Joyce, IL, USA

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow you're pretty creative, great idea too.

My Outdoor Wednesday

SmilingSally said...

They're cute as can be, Sally. I agree with you; I'd rather not fool with glitter.

Hootin Anni said...

Absolutely amazing!!! They're gorgeous.


My Wednesday issue is posted. Come see my lighted Christmas Village HERE.

Blondie's Journal said...

Your trees are so pretty, Sally! You did a fantastic job. They look great on the little boxes. You should definitely keep up the crafting...gluing, glittering and everything!!

Happy Holidays!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

Sally where in the world did you find bottle brushes??? I cannot find them any where- please give out your secret source friend!!!

Did you have fun shopping in Florence- oh how I would love to have been with you!! We are definitely going to have to set a date to do this in the Spring (can you ever make plans in winter here!!!)

You boxes are just precious!!

I found some wire (I thought they might be bottle brush tress but they did not bleach out) trees and have had fun dousing them with lots of glitter!!

blessings
mary

Love Bears All Things said...

Why wouldn't creating with fabric and thread be considered crafting?

I like these little trees and the way you did yours.
Mama Bear

eileeninmd said...

You are amazingly creative. Great idea and photos.

xinex said...

This is pretty neat, Sally. And I know those trees are inexpensive. What a fun project!....Christine

Unknown said...

Sally,

What do you mean you can't craft? The boxes for the tress are just wonderful, what a great idea!!
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

For someone who thinks they aren't good at crafting, these turned out great! They look so cute. Love the idea of the decorated wood base. laurie

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I think they turned out amazing! I love them on the deco'd bases! Doesn't that glitter just get everywhere! LOL! Even our dog had glitter on him when I was doing these!

Manuela