Tuesday, November 8, 2011

PLUMB BOBS

I'm convinced that there is something unusual out there for anyone to collect. My husband collects plumb-bobs. It was a natural - after all his name is Bob and in his career as a Civil Engineer, he was a licensed land surveyor.
According to wikipedia, a plumb-bob is a weight usually with a pointed tip on the bottom, that is suspended from a string and used as a vertical reference line.
It has been used since ancient Eqypt to ensure that constructions are plumb or vertical. It is also used in surveying to establish the nadir with respect to gravity of a point in space.
Bob has been wondering how to display them in his office. When we were at Round Top, Texas this fall; one of the dealers had theirs displayed on an old spool. So the search was on for a spool big enough to hold his plumb-bobs. We finally found one last week.

5 comments:

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sally...

Wow...your honey certainly does have a "fine" collection of plumb-bobs, my friend! How unique! They really are fascinating...kind of pretty! I love that you used a spool to display them! Totally awesome!

How are you doing, sweet lady? I bet you are in your "7th heaven" with the cooler weather here! We were supposed to get snow last night and today...but it went south of us. It's been plenty cool at our place...in fact, I have a big ol' pot of homemade seafood chowder on the stove. It sounded like a great way to chase away the cold! Hehe! I hope that my note is finding you and your sweet family all doing well! Take care!

Love ya,
Chari

Sue said...

I am loving this display! Plumb bobs- who knew? :-)

Marilyn said...

How cool is that?!♥♫

Sue said...

Is there anything you two don't collect???.....
if you ever have a garage sale I am flying to Colorado for sure....
So you thought the house came good yes??
I still have to find a place to hang the moose head....
My staircase with it's huge high ceiling will some day have all paintings and photo's hanging going up the stairs like in the Ralph Lauren stores....I have to start collecting old oil paintings of strangers....
We are staying put for Thanksgiving...our adorable new neighbors "the Jersey Italians" have invited us over to spend the day with their family.....we are delighted.....Hope you and your gang have a good day!!.....

Wolfgang Ruecker said...

Hi Sally,
did your husband already visit the site of the PLUMB BOB COLLECTORS WORLDWIDE?
If not, you will find it with www.plumbbobcollectors.info

enjoy it
Wolfgang