Thursday, December 8, 2011

MORE IS NOT ENOUGH!


I've really enjoyed blogland's simplified spaces for Christmas this season, but I don't think it is in my DNA to simplify when it comes to Christmas decor!
Our kitchen and dining room is basically one space; and, of course, it is where we spend a good deal of time. Over the years, we have collected a good amount of Christmas stuff -- so much of it with memories attached. I find it hard to not put it out to enjoy for just a couple of weeks.
This vintage kitchen cabinet holds a lot of the decor.

There are snowmen I have made over the years, along with part of my collection of vintage bottle brush trees which belonged to my grandmother.
Santas made by friends from vintage quilts.
Several years ago, I made a bunch of these snowmen in vintage blue canning jars to give as gifts to friends. Our grandkids love to shake it and see the snow fly.
Then, there is our collection of blown-glass tree toppers and ornaments from the 1940s-1950s. I'm especially fond of the ornaments with the cardboard hangers made during WWII when metal was scarce.


I bet you thought I was in love with only brown transferware, but I have a nice collection of red, also, which I always get out at Christmastime.
Friends have made and given me so many clever Santas over the years.
My daughter gave me this wreath about 10 years ago, but it received a new adornment and ribbon this year.
I guess 'simplify' is just not in my vocabulary during the Christmas season. There will be MORE in future posts - stay tuned.
I am joining the following Christmas parties. Be sure to check these blogs out for lots of inspiration.
Common Ground for a vintage Christmas on Friday, Dec. 9
French Country Cottage for Christmas Vignettes on Friday, Dec. 9
At the Picket Fence for Christmas in the Kitchen on Friday, Dec. 9
Keeping the Christmas Spirit Alive 365 for I'll Be Home for Christmas on Monday, Dec. 12
Michaela Noelle Designs of Holiday Decor on Thursday, Dec. 15

9 comments:

Trisha said...

It's all very beautiful! I especially love the blown glass tree toppers! Happy Holidays to you!

~Trisha

andrea@townandprairie said...

I know! It's sad to pack away the Chrsitmas decorations you really love! andrea@townandprairie

Olive said...

I love the 1940's tree toppers and I know it is very hard to do less. I got very tired this year and stopped decorating and donated some stuff. Happy Christmas.

Marilyn said...

The tree toppers are on my new wish list. I decided that my hallway to the bedrooms needs to have my favorite Christmas things put back up soon. I took them down when we painted this summer and never got around to putting them back. I even framed a cover of a Penney's catalog because I loved the Santa and I am missing it now. But here I sit...enjoying your pictures.♥♫

Prior said...

your tree toppers are my fav too, I love all your Christmas decor!
Lezlee

Curtains in My Tree said...

I really like all your decorations and love to see them all out .
those tree toppers are really pretty

and then love your little snowman in the jar, have you seen where they ( and me) are putting little bitty bottle brush trees in salt & pepper shakers turned upside down ?

Debra@CommonGround said...

Love seeing all your wonderful Santas and snowmen, the mason jar idea is so so cute. But your green pottery has me drooling, love it!! thanks so much for linking up to the party! xo

Bohemian said...

I had to Smile when I read your Post because it's not in my DNA either. I ATTEMPTED TO minimize and simplify this Christmas... and it started out that way... but there is definitely no Minimalist here! *Winks* I kept adding... and adding... and my usual excess is beginning to creep in as the days extend towards Christmas. *LOL* Your Christmas Home looks Inviting, Cozy and Enchanting in it's excess... more is never enough and apparently I'll just have to stick with that Mantra... *Smiles*

Christmas Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Michaela said...

Love all your little Christmas decorations! Thanks for linking up with me for our Christmas Cheer party (: