Thursday, August 29, 2013

FAVORITE DISH PATTERN(S)

Alison at The Polohouse has challenged us to post about our favorite china pattern for her "Favorites on First" party this month.  Does transferware count as one pattern?  I hope so, as I couldn't decide among several patterns of transferware as my favorite.

I consider my red "Old Britain Castles" by Johnson Bros. as my 'good' dishes.  I always use them for the holidays shown here with the Christmas dessert plate that has the same border pattern.  
Charger-Mikasa "Italian Countryside"; Champagne glass-Grandmother's green depression; Ice tea glass-Mother's Fostoria "American"; Silverware-Oneida "Damask Rose" stainless
  The "Old Britain Castles" is shown below with Johnson Bros. "His Majesty" dessert plate that I always use for Thanksgiving. 
Silverware-Mother's 1847 Roger's silverplate; Goblet-Dollar Store
I love the intricate borders on transferware.  I have service for 16 of these Johnson Bros. dishes.  Actually, I have more place settings than I have room to seat people in our small house; unless it is warm and we can overflow to the screened-in porch!
 Then there are my Johnson Bros. "Friendly Village" dishes that I bought at an estate sale.  There is service for 12, but I have both the buffet plates plus the dinner plates -- 24 people for dinner -- probably not!
Glassware-Fostoria "Argus"; Silverware-Great grandmother's monogrammed sterling
 I bought my "Blue Willow" by Churchill everyday dishes at the grocery store about 15 years ago.  I figured I had to buy groceries, so I might as well get some cheap dishes with them.  I have servings for 12 plus lots of serving pieces in this pattern of transferware.  
Glassware-Dollar Store; Silverware-"Damask Rose" stainless and sterling
  Sixty-seven years ago, my parents had me pick out this sterling silver pattern, Damask Rose; and they gave me pieces along for my birthday and Christmas so that by the time I married I had my 'good' sterling.  Then, several years ago, Oneida came out with the same pattern in stainless, so I bought a service of 12 to use for everyday.  Can you tell the difference between the sterling and the stainless?  The soup spoon is the stainless and the rest is sterling.
 And, finally, I couldn't leave out the 19th century brown transferware.  I have picked up pieces along for twenty years, so I don't have a 'set'; but I have lots of soup bowls and bread plates in different patterns for a mix and match place setting.
Glassware-Mother's Fostoria "American"; Silverware-"Damask Rose" stainless; White dishware-Mikasa "Italian Countryside"

I do believe I'm ready in the dish department if I ever have to serve an army!
In addition to The Polohouse on September 1, I'm linking to the following:
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Common Ground for Be Inspired Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Pieced Pastimes for Saturday Sparks
Sunday View for Vintage View Sunday
Creatively Living for Monday Funday
Better with Age for Give Me The Goods Monday
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday Treasures
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
Knick of Time for Knick of Time Vintage Tuesday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
The Vintage Farmhouse for Creative Things Thursday
Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

26 comments:

Marilyn said...

My favorite might be the Christmas setting. I found two of the dinner plates at a thrift shop several years ago and enjoy having them. An army? Hope they would all have good manners and appreciate fine dining. Have a great Labor Day weekend.♥♫

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Friendly Village makes me feel all Christmas-y :)

Anonymous said...

You have the most wonderful transferware collection, Sally. I love seeing it.

NanaDiana said...

ALL those patterns are just beautiful. I love them all! xo Diana

Kim said...

Those Christmas dishes are just so pretty! I am a total dish-a-holic, I have to come up a with a creative way to display them all. Right now I have a few pretty plates on the wall and everything else is tucked away!

Patty Rumaker said...

Your collection of transferware is incredible. I adore transferware - it is so artful!
Thanks, Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

County Line Road said...

Sally, I love these!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Hi Sally!

You know I love all your transferware. I have posted on Blue Willow that my dear grandmother always had and my loving memories associated with it.
Your layering is wonderful!
I am particularly fond of you mismatched brown transferware pieces in the last photos --- the aesthetic style is so appealing to me. I have a few pieces too!
:)
Thanks for linking up Sally!

xox
A

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, I love transferware, but have very little. I just found a few Johnson Bros. plates for Thanksgiving at a thrift. You have a wonderful collection. Love it all!
hugs,
Jann

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love all those patterns as I also adore English transferware china. I just got blue and White vintage dinner plates to match with my red one...very thrilled!
Big hugs,
FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love all those patterns as I also adore English transferware china. I just got blue and White vintage dinner plates to match with my red one...very thrilled!
Big hugs,
FABBY

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

I love beautiful dishes. I don't have many at this point, but I do think they are beautiful. I really love that winter one with the red barn. Thanks for sharing them at Monday Funday!

SmilingSally said...

Yes, you're ready, BUT now you have to cook!

RobinfromCA said...

I love your all of your dishes. It's a good thing we aren't required to host the same number of guests we have place settings for! I am taking part in Favorites on the First for the first time and I have some of the same dishes featured today!
Have a lovely week,
Robin

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Oh yes, I find transferware irresistible! You have some wonderful patterns. I have a handful of those quite old brown plates that you show. They're all chipped, but I love them anyway! We passed through Colorado from Vernal, Utah in the north, to Grand Junction, through Ouray to Durango. What a mind blow! We want to live in Colorado now. So lush and beautiful, and the mountain passes left us speechless. Thanks for missing me!!!

Susanne B said...

I love transferware too. Lately I am really into Bristol which is a pretty red with florals and birds. The ones you have in you collection are stunning. I am so jealous!

Pinning

Sue
bebeandj.com

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

These are all such beautiful patterns. I love transferware and only have a few pieces, but I love the ones I have. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Sarah said...

You are ready with a beautiful table for certain. I enjoyed seeing all your different transfer ware. The old brown pieces are my favorites. I like to buy pieces of the brown when I can. As you can tell from my wedding china, brown is a favorite for us. '-)
Thanks for sharing........Sarah

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Sally, I love transferware too, and you have some beautiful pieces. I am coveting the Christmas tree pieces. All of it is gorgeous. What a great idea to get the flatware pattern in both stainless and silver. laurie

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love the Friendly Village dishes! They just seem perfect for autumn. Your whole collection is gorgeous. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

xinex said...

I love transferware too and you have a beautiful collection...Christine

Unknown said...

IF I had to pick my favorite I would be in trouble. I love all your dishes and your silverware. A lovely collection of transferware! Thank you for sharing.
Blessings My Friend,

Dianne said...

I have actually served 25 people at one time and not when I was catering either. This was just a regular combined family dinner. I love almost anything Johnson Brothers and Friendly Village is just so homey and needs to be filled with comfort foods. You have some beautiful pieces. Dianne

Tea in the Library said...

Loved seeing out you make the most of those great patterns. Happy SYC!

Anonymous said...

Your dishes are all absolutely gorgeous. I love all of them. I would never be able to make up my mind which I like the best. You are so fortunate to have all of these! Thanks for showing them.

Unknown said...

Nice Collections. This is so lovely and elegant collections of Sterling Silver Tableware. An antique silver spoon bought wisely, will not only give pleasure from its’ beauty in form, but will be a capital investment ever increasing in value.