Friday, November 21, 2014

LITTLE BOXES

Occasionally, I get the urge to make something with no eventual purpose -- I just want to make something!  I've been seeing some fabric covered boxes around, and decided to try my hand at it.  No pattern; just figuring it out as I go.
This little project appealed to my frugal sense.  All I had to purchase were the two wooden boxes and the smaller cardboard box from Michael's (under $5 for all three).  I have this great stash of fabric scraps all organized by color and type saved from 50 years of sewing for just such a project as this.
The best part for me is to see the PROCESS of this ----
turn into this ----

In my years of teaching quilt making, I discovered there are 'process' people and there are 'product' people.  'Process' people thoroughly enjoy the act of making something, being creative.  Sometimes they don't care very much about the finished product or its use after creation.  'Product' people, on the other hand, have something in mind for the end result.  They know they are going to give it away, use it themselves, or sell it.  'Product' people sometimes get frustrated during the creative process -- they want to get done and move on to the part that gives them the most satisfaction: the after-life of the product.  But 'process' people enjoy every hurtle they encounter during creation; and consider it all as a welcome challenge.  Once they are done, they are ready to move on to something else and forget the product.  Of course, there are the rare 'combination' people that enjoy it all.

I am definitely a 'process' person as I enjoy every aspect of the act of creating, but not so much the after-life of the product.  
So, I have my same problem again. What in the world am I going to do with three little boxes now that the fun is over?

Are you a 'process', 'product', or 'combination' person?

I'm joining the following:
Pieced Pastimes for Saturday Sparks
Be Different Act Normal for Show and Tell Saturdays
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Smiling Sally for Blue Monday
Coastal Charm for Show and Share Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
Green Willow Pond for What We Accomplished Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for WOW Us Wednesdays
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
The Dedicated House for Anything Blue Friday

8 comments:

Jan said...

Love the box with the cherries on top! These look like a great gift idea!

Sue @Rue-Mouffetard said...

Sally they are so stinkin cute...love the cherry top box...and me..I am a combo person...love the creating process and love knowing I will give it away and I hope the person receiving it will make them smile :)

Kim said...

Love them! I remember making boxes like this with my aunt when I was little. We would use all of her quilting scraps and craft forever! I am a teacher and have always been process oriented in the classroom. In crafting, I usually have a reason I want to make something, so I start out product oriented, but often fall in love with the process and am sad when the project is complete. That's where the the blog comes in, then I can take pics of my project and share them and the process starts all over again! ;) Thoughtful post, I like that! Happy Turkey!

SmilingSally said...

Hi Sally,

I guess I'm a product person because although I've always liked crafting, I tend to get impatient and sloppy with the work. My arthritic hands are not so cooperative any more.

I admire people like you; your finished product is ALWAYS so perfect. Thanks for making Blue Monday special.

Happy Blue Monday and Happy Thanksgiving!

bj said...

Hi, Sally, thanks so much for stopping over with a note. Always so glad to see you.
I love your boxes..you are so talented...just the three, sitting together on a shelf would be adorable.
Happiest Thanksgiving...and love to you.
xo bj

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh Sally, I am drooling over these boxes! Especially that sweet one with the cherry on top. I think I am a little of both. Although I don't like making things to sell. Never could mass produce. A bit more process that product I guess. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

These are just beautiful! I love the cherry one. Great job on making them!

The Charm of Home said...

I will feature these tomorrow at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry