Thursday, December 11, 2014

VINTAGE CHRISTMAS

Today is Vintage Christmas day at
Have A Daily Cup.  Since practically everything around here is vintage (including us), I wasn't going to miss this opportunity to celebrate with Jann.  Be sure to hop over and visit her delightful blog!

 In my last post I said I wasn't the glitzy, sparkly, glamour type --- well, I lied as I do have a fondness for shiny, vintage ornaments.
Ever since I inherited my parent's and grandmother's Christmas stuff in the 1990s, I have been searching for more vintage ornaments.  I've been keeping the collection under control, however, by buying only those priced way under the current market value.  My search centers on the balls with the cardboard hangers from WW II.  In all of the years I have only found three.  In our part of the country, they must not have been into conserving metal for the war effort; because they sure are elusive!!
In addition, I'm attracted to the vintage tree toppers and bottle brush trees.
I inherited several of the bottle brush trees from my grandmother when I received her collection of cardboard houses.  I love this little church and its tiny bottle brush tree.
We also like the old Christmas postcards which we display on this vintage grocery store receipt rack along with some pictures of our Christmases Past.
Look at this picture of our children taken 40 Christmases ago.  Santa has a death grip on Jenni, and Mike was ready to also grab her if she tried to escape.  Later in the day, we discovered that Jenni had come down with the chicken pox -- we have often wondered if we were responsible for Santa later coming down with the pox.  Plus, did he then have shingles later in life?  He looks a little scared, doesn't he?  I feel guilty........but at the moment we didn't know.
I guess you could consider some of our stockings vintage -- I knitted the first one for Bob before our first Christmas in 1958.
Another touch of vintage - my two grandmothers' and my mother's rolling pins.

I'm joining the following:
Have a Daily Cup for Vintage Christmas Thursday
From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Nancherrow for Fridays Unfolded
Pieced Pastimes for Saturday Sparks

10 comments:

Pamela said...

I love all your vintage Christmas touches. Those tree finials are fabulous! Thank you for sharing at THT.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Your vintage treasures are the kind I look for when I am picking! I am coveting your stockings, something I would love a collection of!! Just beautiful!

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

So charming! Adorable Santa photo and I love the rolling pins. Jane

Tea in the Library said...

My daughter has all of my mothers' and grandmothers' glass ornaments and the dated collection I started in 1976 while still in high school. I bought some lovely aqua vintage glass ornaments but the 2nd Child took those! I now have some soft pink ... it will be interesting to see who tried to get these away from me! Lovely post. Merry Christmas!

Linda said...

What a beautiful collection! We have my mom's old ornaments that are mostly wooden and many from Europe. One of my favorite things about Christmas is all the memories that spill out of those bins! Visiting from Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson. Linda @bushelandapickle. com

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my friend, you always have such fabulous treasures! I had never heard of the ornaments with the cardboard tops until you mentioned them. I think I would pass out if I ran across one. lol! To have heirlooms from your grandmother is a blessing. I have nothing like that. Never met any of my grandparents. They had all passed before I was born and my grandparents home was broke in to when they had moved and everything stolen. Love the old postcards and photos! Thanks so much for linking up to Creating Christmas. Wishing you a very Merry one!
hugs,
Jann

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

I just loved seeing the cardboard hangers! I've never seen them before and now I will be looking for them. :)

Have a very Merry Christmas!

A Romantic Porch said...

I have NEVER seen those cardboard toppers and the ornaments. I didn't realize they did that back then. I love learning new things, and I LOVE collecting those old shiny brite ornaments too.
Love,Rachel

The Charm of Home said...

Such a lot of vintage goodness!! Thank you for joining HSH! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, I will be sharing this today on my blog. Thanks for linking it to 'Creating Christmas'!
hugs,
Jann