Monday, November 27, 2017

LET'S PLAY HOUSE

There is no place I would rather be than in my house ---- I'm a real homebody.  I've always been that way.  As a child, my mother was always encouraging me to go outside and play.  I didn't want to go outside ---- it was cold, it was hot, it was windy, it was wet, there were bugs and dirt!  Just let me stay inside where my books, crayolas, toys, dolls, and play dishes were.  When I was about four, my parents built me a play house about 10 feet from the back door of our house.  Now I'll go out ---- ten steps and I'm inside again!
That's me at the age of 6 forced 
outside to have my picture taken
on the backside of my playhouse.
My absolute favorite day was Friday when mother and I would clean my little cottage ---- scrubbing windows and floors, etc.  I loved that little house.  
My playhouse  -- at its current location
(moved 3 times and now 75 years old)
 -- picture taken a couple of years ago.

From the beginning, I loved all of my dwellings.
I've lived in 20 different houses over the years --- that doesn't count the various (high school and college) dorm rooms.

There was one dorm room that I absolutely adored, however.  My roommate left mid-semester, and the dorm people moved me to a single room that was about 5 feet by 10 feet --- just a bed and desk, but it did have two huge closets.  

Just waiting around in a 
dorm room to get my MRS. degree. 
 My sewing machine fit on the desk, and I was in heaven sewing, knitting socks, etc., by myself  ----  still playing house!  It was a wonder I kept my good grades up.

    He married me while we were still teenagers in between our Sophomore and Junior years in college.   Our two-room apartment was in half of the basement of this house.  It was really a dump, but I loved fixing it up with new curtains that I had made and our wedding presents.  I shined those old linoleum floors til they glistened.
And, taught myself to cook for real in this basic kitchen ----
And, decorated for Christmas ----


There were many more houses to follow ----

A couple of our favorites ----

A wonderful house we bought in 1976. 

Another favorite that we 
owned from 1990 to 1997.

 And, now we have lived in this house for 20 years.

Today I've really reverted to my childhood ---- playing with dishes!  We're having 14 friends over for a Christmas soup lunch soon, so I need to decide a tablescape.  Maybe this???



I hope everyone has fun playing house in preparation for the upcoming Christmas season.  I plan some more Christmas decorating today!

I'm joining the following:
Coastal Charm for Show and Share Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

4 comments:

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful tree and dishes. Have fun with your friends.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I can't believe you still have your beautiful old playhouse! How wonderful! When I was about four, a big wooden crate showed up in the back yard. I shared it with my two older sisters. Not at all fancy, but we were thrilled. You have an amazing store of photos to cherish! The one of you out in the sunshine reminds me of how hard it was to keep my eyes open for pictures! You make me want to sift through some of my old shots. A great way to remember old holidays! Happy celebrating!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Oh, I loved this post and all about your homebodyness! Love your little play house. My daddy bought me an old school bus that had the engine part lopped off and most of the seats were gone. He had it pulled into our backyard and it was my playhouse. Needless to say, I was the hit of the neighborhood until we saw a hobo come out of it one morning! Thanks for popping in to see me. I love all you do and your table is looking pretty! I do think you're trying to get me in trouble! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

The Charm of Home said...

That's awesome you have your playhouse. I was the same as a child always playing house especially rocking babies. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.