Sunday, December 10, 2017

HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS

One of my favorite bloggers is hosting with her friends a week long party of Christmas goodness.  Check out Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for the schedule of "Creating Christmas".  Tuesday, December 12 has been designated 'Homemade Christmas'.

I've always been a sewer and a wanna-be crafter, so homemade is a natural.  Back in my day in my small hometown, we didn't have kindergarten so I've never been very proficient with glue and glitter even though I try.  But, I can sew up most anything.
Several years ago my friend, Jan, and I teamed up together to make about a dozen of these homemade Santas as gifts for our friends in our Wednesday Morning coffee/quilting group.
Jan made the faces and bodies and I made the clothes.  This is still one of my favorites, as he just looks like the Santas of my childhood.
Handmade projects with memories attached are special.  This is an elf that I made using buttons from three of my grandmothers' button boxes.

Another handmade project for me has been the knitted stockings ---- started in 1958 on our first married Christmas.  I knitted the one on the far right for Bob that Christmas, and continued as family members were added.  The last one I did was for grandson, Wyatt (on the far left), who was born in 2002.  

  Now, I'm just waiting for those great grandchildren to come along!!

And what is Christmas without those wonderful handmade Christmas projects of preschoolers?  They are the best!

Homes filled with handmade Christmas are real blessings to visit, and are just meant to be shared!

Go over to Carol's Art and Sand and share your favorite handmade Christmas on Tuesday.


2 comments:

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, you are just the sweetest! Have loved connecting with you for so long!! Next trip, I'm coming to see you for sure. You are an amazing seamstress! Really, a gal of so many talents. I love your Santas. The button elf is absolutely precious with the wonderful memories attached. I love seeing some of my childrens handmade gifts. Thanks so much for linking to Creating Christmas!
hugs,
Jann

Art and Sand said...

Oh, Iove your Santas, but even more, I love your knitted stockings.

I crocheted stockings for my husband for our first married Christmas in 1971. It was my first crochet project and I ended up making 6 in total. They are looking a little sad so I knitted stockings about 15 years ago, but now I need to knit more as our family has grown with spouses and now a first grandchild.

Thanks for linking up.