Thursday, October 11, 2012

A NEW WOOL PROJECT

One of my new favorite things to do is work with recycled wool. I enjoyed working on my Penny Rug project (click here), so thought I would try a similar project by making a pillow.
 Before I could finish it up, I had to go in search of some more wool for the cording.  A trip to Goodwill yielded two wool skirts - one a nice Pendleton red plaid and the other, a pleated teal plaid skirt from Scotland.  I deconstructed the skirts, then felted them in a hot wash and dry.  There was a lot of yardage hidden in those pleats.  If new, the wool would have been close to $100 -- I paid $8 for the two skirts.
 I used the red plaid to make the cording for the pillow.  The brown wools were the result of previous trips to Goodwill.  Can you guess where the assorted small squares of plaids and checks are from?
 When out looking at new fabric, I always pick up those free little samples attached to the end of the bolt with a safety pin.  Some of these are from Nell Hills in Kansas City, some from Denver Fabrics, etc. etc.  I know, I have no shame!
The embroidery was done in a blanket stitch and a herringbone stitch using #5 Perle cotton.

I'll be joining in the following blog parties:
Home Sweet Home Friday - The Charm of Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday - Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday - French Country Cottage
Saturday Nite Special - Funky Junk Interiors
Metamorphosis Monday - Between Naps on the Porch
 Nifty Thrifty Tuesday - Coastal Charm
Tweak It Tuesday - Cozy Little House
Wow Us Wednesdays - Savvy Southern Style
Transformation Thursday - The Shabby Creek Cottage
Thursday Open House Party - No Minimalist Here

21 comments:

Marilyn said...

That is a very stylish fall pillow and I can almost feel the itchy wool. Wool never bothered Wally, but I can not have it next to my skin at all. Beautiful work in perfect colors for this season.♥♫

Custom Comforts said...


What a unique idea and so fallish. I work with wool too, but never thought to look for plaids. Thanks for sharing your great idea.
Cindy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love your pillow. I'm so interested in learning about felting wool. Now I need to search for some old wool items in the thrift shops.

Mabel Jane's said...

Love your work...and this one is so unique! Blessings...Pam

Unknown said...

Just checking in from good ol' PENDLETON, Oregon---home of the Pendleton Woolen Mills! :) I love love love your pillow...gorgeous!

Have a lovely weekend!
Mrs. Sarah Coller

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Oh, I just love your woolen pillow and the little squares. Your needlework is very nice also! That's a smart way to find wool.
Thanks for popping in and have a great weekend.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my gosh Sally, you have me drooling again. You have created so much lately. Do you ever sleep girl? lol! Love the piping! I often look for wool at thrift stores but not having much luck. Now how come I don't know about these little scraps pinned to the bolts? Never seen it before. Love, love the stitches you used!
Hugs,
Jann

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Beautiful! I absolutely think this is the sweetest thing! I love all the fabrics you've chosen and that you found such great fabric in a couple of wool skirts. Good thinking! The plaids accompanied by the stitching just makes for such a great feel.
Liz

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

Your pillow is gorgeous!! What a wonderful way to upcycle!!

DeeAnna said...

Goodwill is the best! Your pillow is beautiful!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

So cute! I've been looking for a red plaid Pendleton skirt/blanket to make pillows. But no luck so far!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

I remember your penny rug..loved it. This is equally stunning!

The Joyful Thrifter said...

Love the colors in this pillow! So cute! So festive!

Smiles,
The Joyful Thrifter

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Soooooo cute!
Don't you love the GW for prices!!!!
Your work is excellent!
xo. Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Following NOW!!!!
xo,Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Sue said...

Oh my- your pillow is wonderful, Sally! Amazing where you got all of your fabrics. I wish I was crafty like this. :-)
:-) Sue

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a great looking pillow, Sally. I love the plaids, and I love the way you sewed them. Great job of getting your fabrics too. I love those little snippets of fabric, but I never do anything with mine. laurie

The Charm of Home said...

This looks fantastic! I would love to find one of these skirts, but they are not plentiful here! Great use of the wool! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

The Charm of Home said...

I am featuring you today. I thought your pillow was spectacular!
Sherry

Kim said...

I am in love with this sweet pillow. I'd love to buy one if you ever decide to sell them.
xoxo,
Kim

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a beautiful pillow...perfect for fall. Thank you for linking to the Open House party.