Sunday, October 28, 2012

FINISHING UP SUMMER PROJECTS PLUS HALLOWEEN FUN

After 26 years, it was time for a new roof.  Thank goodness the insurance company agreed!  Here is the before picture on the day they loaded the new shingles onto the roof.
We decided to change the color of the roof to onyx.  And, of course, then I wasn't satisfied with the current paint scheme (even though the house didn't need painting!).   I have a terrible time picking out paint colors.  So, I just went to 
 Sherwin-Williams.com, and found a house with a black roof and a color scheme I liked.  And then just went with it -- the body is SW2827 (Colonial Revival Stone); the trim is SW2829 (Classical White); the door is SW2802 (Rookwood Red); and the shutters are SW6258 (Tricorn Black).  It took Bob a month to paint, but we are pleased with the result.
 I've never liked the flimsy, fake original shutters on the house.  We couldn't justify the cost of putting up working shutters -- no hurricanes in Colorado and frontier raids are a thing of the past.  Shutters in this area are more just an architectural detail to keep the facade of 1980s ranch-style houses from looking so flat.   Below, is a before collage of the flimsy, louvered shutters and the after with the new paneled shutters that Bob built.  Much better!!!!

   Halloween also begins for us in the summer when Wyatt and his Papa Bob plant the pumpkin seeds in the garden.  After watering and watching all summer, they pick a day in October to harvest their crop.
  Then it is time to construct their annual display on our front porch.  This usually includes a pumpkin man after a dig through our bottomless costume box; a trip to get corn stalks; and, of course, lunch out.  
 It always takes a lot of activity to keep this 10-year-old occupied.  So, this week he and I had a session in the kitchen decorating Halloween cupcakes.  We made bats and skeletons this year.
 Even though Caitlin is getting older (at 16); she and I did have some kitchen time making Frankensteins for her friends.
These Halloween kitchen crafts came from the dashrecipes.com website.
I can't believe that it is almost November - a time for family birthdays and Thanksgiving.  Can Christmas be far behind?

I'll be joining the following parties -- please check these blogs out and tell them how much you appreciate their efforts!
 Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Northern Cottage for Partytime Tuesday
Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday
A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
The Vintage Farmhouse for Creative Things Thursday
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday
Designs By Gollum for Foodie Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Your home looks wonderful! Love your new roof and the colors you chose. I can still hear the hammering when we got a new roof! :)
Glad you had such a great time with your grands. You're so blessed to have them close by!
Have a wonderful week.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow the house looks great Sally! I wish I could say we are done with our paint job!Of course you know we aren't by seeing it a few weeks ago.

Those skeleton cupcakes are neat- haven't seen those before- how do you keep the pretzels separated?

I see Caitlin is having fun with her Grandmother once again!

bee blessed
mary

eileeninmd said...

Your home does look wonderful, the new roof and new color looks pretty. I love your pumpkin man, how cute. Must have been fun for the little ones. Have a great week!

Pondside said...

I like your new colour scheme very much, and the new shutters give the house more 'authority' than the old louvered ones.

BunnyKissd said...

OMG I love all the little Halloween crafts! ^-^

Lorrie said...

I do like those shutters better than the old ones. More punch to them. And the new roof looks great.

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

The house looks great! The pumpkin man is too funny ! Looks like lots of fun with the grandkids...both food crafts look attractive AND yummy! :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Your house looks wonderful. I love the new color scheme!! What fun times with the Grands!!

Unknown said...

Everything looks great. I really love the new shutters.

Anonymous said...

Love the new colors of your house, just perfect - the new shutters complete the look! Found your feature on Brenda's Tweak it Tuesday and had to visit - thanks for sharing! Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally. No, I don't know that song and will have to look it up on GodTube.
Hope you're doing well this week.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

carol l mckenna said...

House looks wonderful ~ and children look happy ~ Great post and photos ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

Light and Voices said...

Ahhhh.....how fun it must have been to make Halloween treats with the grandchildren.

Nice job redecorating the house. What a differene a month makes. Hubby's time wasn't wasted by any means. How talented is he?

Joyce M

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Your home is lovely and those Halloween goodies are fantastic. So very cute! Such a great thing to plant seeds and then harvest your own pumpkins for carving. Happy day to you! Tammy

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Your house looks wonderful Sally! We're working on ours too, it's a long job but so worth it. Happy Halloween to you and those sweet grands!
xo, Andrea

Unknown said...

Sally, Your home now matches mine. I have Onyx shingles, white trim, and black shutters, gray house, oh also a blue door. I'm ready to paint the door another color, and would love new shutters. Yours looks great!

My Dream Canvas said...

Lovely decor. Dropping by via Transformation Thursday. I look forward to seeing you at my festive tablescape:-)

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

Love the roof! Cute Halloween goodies too. thanks for linking!

SouthernHeart said...

Good morning! I just discovered your blog on Cozy Little House and I am so happy that I did! Now, I'm looking forward to catching up on back posts.

Blessings,
Dianne
www.sweetjourneyhome.com

the cape on the corner said...

your home's new look is amazing! i love that color combo, and i wish the boyfriend would let me paint our brick cape a nice gray, but nope, he ain't having it. your house looks faaaab!

lvroftiques said...

Sally the new roof and paint color look GREAT!! And I have those same fakey shutters (hate em) yours look sooo much better! I also think the pumpkin patch is a wonderful idea! And those treats turned out so darling! I bet you GD's and GS's friends were thrilled! Vanna

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Well your house looks like new! I like your choices. What a fun time you had with the kiddos! Such young energy!

The 2 Seasons said...

We have been saving for a new roof. We are hoping we can get at least another year out of it, but it will depend on our winter. Those sweets are so cute and look tasty!

édis said...

AMEI O SEU BLOG,QUASE NÃO CONSEGUI PARAR DE VER SUAS POSTAGENS ANTIGAS.



srpprcrftr said...

Hi there I found your blog thru A pretty little house/Brenda. She showed a picture of your breath taking penny rug. Your stitching is exquisite.
She wants to make one now and so do I. I've never made one so have no excuse any more after finding gobs of felt and have embroidery thread organized and ready. Now to be able to do the stitching you've done. Don't pretend to be a good embroiderer but will sure give it a shot.
I'm 72, a blog reader, and will be married 44 yrs. at the end of this month. I just started reading blogs at end of last year and am enthralled with all the incredible talented bloggers and crafters, etc. out there. Keeps me inspired and very busy.
Would love to hear from you. We live about 15 miles west of Grand Junction out in the country. Happy Weekend

srpprcrftr said...

Forgot to tell you my email address is: FurryKidzPaperworx@gmail.com

srpprcrftr said...

Sorry the name of blog that I found you on was: A cozy little house. Reading too many blogs late at night.
JaneEllen at FurryKidZPaperworx@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I do like those shutters better than the old ones. More punch to them. And the new roof looks great. RV Roof leaks Repair