Wednesday, December 5, 2012

MADE BY HAND CHRISTMAS

For a lot of years, my friends from our Wednesday A.M. coffee group and I exchanged handmade gifts of our choice at Christmas.   We quit a few years ago as time and space became an issue, but we sure had fun during our heyday years.  I thought I would share a few of the Santas, etc. I have made in years past to give.

'Elf on a Shelf' year!  So much fun collecting and stringing all of those buttons for his arms and legs.
 And, then one year I went crazy making these snowmen with their sweaters made from socks.  I couldn't stop buying cute socks - I think I made about twenty snowmen that year.
 The year of 9/11 - a patriotic Santa was in order with his red, white, and blue patchwork coat and flag.
 Then, there was the year that I thought how hard can 10 Santas in his bag be to make.  Well, that totaled 100 of those little yo-yos that make up his tree, etc.  Oh, my!
 Here is one from the early 1980s - primitive Christmases were all the style.
 My friend, Jan, and I teamed up on this Santa.  She made the heads and bodies; and I did all the clothes.  I don't remember how many of these we made, but it was a bunch.  It seemed like I made hundreds of those mittens with their tiny thumbs.
It sure was fun each year thinking up different projects.  Sometime, I'll share some of the ones I received in the exchange - lots of talent in our group.  

I still try to do some handwork as a tuck-in gift for another friend.  Nothing too fancy this year!  I've been in the wool-applique mode for a couple of months, so I made a couple of wool ornaments.

I'm linking up to the following parties.  Please stop by these blogs for a plethora of inspiration.

Centsational Girl for Christmas Crafts on Thursday, 12/6
Cedar Hill Ranch for Handmade Christmas on Friday, 12/7
The Vintage Farmhouse for Creative Things Thursday
No Minimalist Here for Thursday Open House Party
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday



13 comments:

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Very fun snowmen and Santas. I have made a few over the years too. I like blanket stitching felt ornaments too, when I get time.

Sue said...

professional looking snowmen you have there....they look just like all the ones I have on my kitchen table this year....loved the patriotic Santa....loved them all...your talents are endless!!

Marilyn said...

What fun! I try to add a Santa or elf to join the others here each year. I love the ones made by hand, like yours.♥♫

NanaDiana said...

Oh-You and I have done so many of the same crafts over the years. The only one that you made that I didn't was the button legged Elf on the Shelf. They are all just darling. I made tons of those danged mittens, too. I used a pencil whittled down to "turn" the thumb!;>) What fun to see all these things. I don't have any of mine left- I just gave my last primitive Santa away. xo Diana

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! You're so good! I Love seeing the Santies and elves you've made! Now I'd love to see what things you received from your group.
Hope all is well.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful collection of hand crafted Santas Sally! They are each so unique. Love the ones you make out of socks-

I used to make a hand made ornament for each of the boys each year- haven't done that since they grew up and moved out of the house. Did make some cute clay stamped tags/ornaments this year for our donors which I need to finish and get mailed!

Sorry the greenery thing didn't work out- I did see Kerry and she said that they had plenty of juniper if you would like to get some to give her a jingle.

bee blessed
mary

jenclair said...

Love your Santas and snowmen!
Each and every one!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

OMGoodness, I sure wish I had known you back then. I have collected Santas for about 25 years and try to get mostly home made ones. These are ALL fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent!!!!!!!!!! XO, Pinky

Karen said...

Those are great Santas and Snowmen. You have a lot of talent and patince... 100 yo yos that's dedication!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Really gorgeous handmade Santas and Snowmen!

The Farmers Daughter said...

You're so talented! I loved all of them. Crafted items are always best--and so special!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, you always do such beautiful work! We have alot in common. I spent many many years creating handmade gifts for my firends. And receiving some wonderful ones in return. Most of us have quit also. Same reason, we just have too darn much! All that you shared are precious, but I love the elf with buttons and Santa with the yo-yo tree in the sweet wheelbarrow. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

oh I love these santas....each one is so precious but I think my favorite is the one with all of the buttons! Adorable!