Wednesday, February 27, 2013

FAVORITE CHAIR

Alison at The Polohouse is showing favorite chairs on her "Favorites on the First" series this month.  I love chairs, especially those with family history.  We have a few family chairs -- 12 to be exact -- but this one probably has the most interesting story about how we acquired it.
In the 1890s, my step-great-grandfather who I never knew was a judge in Prowers County Colorado.  His son married my maternal grandmother when my mother was a child.
In the 1950s - 1960s, my husband's uncle worked in maintenance in the Prowers County courthouse.  During this time, Bob's uncle acquired several pieces of unused furniture, etc. from the courthouse.  Then, in the 1970s Bob did some land surveying work for his uncle.  Not wanting to take any money, Bob finally agreed to take this chair as payment for services.  It was not in very good condition as it needed to be re-caned, etc.  It definitely showed its years of use in the courthouse.  But Bob worked on it, and we started using it daily in our office.
In the 1980s my grandmother died and I inherited a lot of things, including pictures.  I was going through them one day, and kept coming back to this picture.  I stared at it for the longest time, and finally realized this was The Judge sitting in OUR chair.
And that is the story about how a chair with my family history came through Bob's family to us.  And, of course, we have had it for 40 years in our home, so we are part of its history, too. Sometimes I think some of our stuff finds us rather than we find it.  For a couple more stories, check out my old posts about The Missing Towel Rack and The Traveling Milk Pail.

In addition to The Polohouse, I'm linking up to the following:
Common Ground for Be Inspired Friday
Miss Mustard Seed for Furniture Feature Friday
Knick of Time for Knick of Time Tuesday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday Treasures
Vintage on a Dime for Welcome Home Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
No Minimalist Here for Thursday Open House
Delightful Order for for Delightfully Inspiring Thursday

13 comments:

Marilyn said...

Great piece with family history. I love the natural wood color, too. So many things get painted these days. Another snow storm with a snow day here. I haven't had a 5 day week in a long time what with the days off, my mom being here, and now a snow day. I am going to start counting the days!♥♫

Sue said...

Oh you crack me up....the stories about where all these wonderful things come to find you are priceless...how's the weather by you is it still snowing??

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh my what a neat neat story. And I love the story also, because with having a land surveying business and dealing with research at courthouses and such I know that the chair truly found you. And I also "get" trading things for pay!

Have a wonderful day dear.
xo rachel

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great story behind this wonderful chair!!! Did Bob do the caning on the chair too? It is such a pretty piece. I am so impressed with all the history your have in your things Sally.

Food boxes were this week so it has been a busy one- had a great time getting to visit with several new people that have moved in the area. Getting ready for a trip to Phoenix to see Bill's folks - it has been a while since we have been out that way.

I am so hankering for spring- how bout you?

Oh did I tell you that we are down to 1 bee hive now? The other 2 didn't survive the winter- I am wondering if this is another priority that the Lord is removing for me. Do love those girls though

bee blessed
mary

Calypso In The Country said...

Great story! Furniture has so much more meaning when there is a history behind it!
-Sheley

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

What a FANTASTIC story!
That is such a fateful connection.... truly meant to be!

Thanks so much for sharing this. Made this month's topic even more interesting than I ever imagined!

Love this.
Thanks so much for sharing.

xoxoxox
Alison

Sarah said...

Chairs with history are great to have around. ;-)
I enjoyed the story of your chair. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Oh, I love the story of your wonderful chair! You have the most special things and always a great story to go with it! :) Enjoy your winter.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Donna Wilkes said...

I have enjoyed going from post to post reading about the chairs. I really enjoyed yours because of the special story behind the chair.

Maureen Wyatt said...

That chair was certainly meant to find it's way back to you! It's so nice that you reconditioned it and it gets to be loved all over again.

Malinda Tamlyn said...

I love it when great pieces have great stories. I think they often get lost through the generations. I have a few pieces that my mother stuck a piece of paper in with a lttle story about the piece. More of us should do this. It makes our pieces come alive for the generations to come.
Reuzeit Emporium Blog
Reuzeit Emporium

Susie Q said...

You have such treasures and the best stories to go with them all! I love your chair...so pretty and looks comfy too!
Love,
Sue

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How interesting! Another reason to cherish our old photos! And what a great old chair!