Thursday, October 30, 2014

LAST TOUCHES OF FALL

Almost the first of November - I can't believe we are still experiencing Fall weather; but I suspect Winter is on it's way!  Thought I would share a couple more touches of Fall before the snow flies.
This painting, which typifies the Rocky Mountains in Fall, was painted by Bob's grandmother's sister-in-law.  It was a gift to his grandparents, and hung in their home until 1965.
In 1965, Colorado experienced major flooding and Bob's grandparents were victims.  With water flooding their basement, there was an explosion and their home was destroyed -- they were elderly, injured, and never fully recovered.  Bob's mother retrieved Aunt Lottie's painting, cleaned it up, and it then hung in her living room until her death last month.
And, now, it hangs in ours.

With everything that has gone on this Fall, I finally went out to cut my hydrangeas.
 It amazes me the metamorphosis of my hydrangea's color from Spring to Fall.  
 When they first bloom, they start out a beautiful shade of blue; then turn pinkish.

 Now that they have dried, they are green, brown, and maroon ---  the wonder of God's creations.

I'm joining the following:
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Nancherrow for Fridays Unfolded
Pieced Pastimes for Saturday Sparks
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
Confessions of a Plate Addict for The Scoop Tuesday
Coastal Charm for Show and Share Tuesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday

8 comments:

NanaDiana said...

That is awful about the grandparents' home exploding. I bet that did have a huge impact on their health and mental health, too.

That is a wonderful old painting. I am glad you have it-what a great "memory" piece.

My hydrangeas are drying, too. xo Diana

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

God's creations certainly are a wonder Sally. A beautiful one at that! Love the painting and what a special background story. Happy Fall!
hugs,
Jann

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Still beautiful in ABQ too! Hydrangeas are amazing. Wish I had some of my own bushes. But I love them dried too, and my Brother in Law sent me some. Perfect fall decoration. What a beautiful painting you have inherited.

bj said...

OOO, I remember how beautiful they were when we were there.
Beautiful painting..I love that it's gone thru so many generations.
Take care, dear friend.
xo

Elaine said...

What a wonderful piece of family history. Quite the story too.

Your hydrangeas look lovely on display. I love the muted colors of dried hydrangeas.

The Charm of Home said...

Very pretty!
Sherry

Unknown said...

The art work is beautiful. And your hydrangeas looks beautiful as well. Thanks for sharing this.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

How wonderful that the painting could be saved and passed down and enjoyed. It is lovely.

I love hydrangeas...mine turn to a deep pink. I have a huge amount of them cut and sitting in a bucket in the basement. I thought to bring them out to enjoy after all the CHristmas decorations are put away and it 's JUST January :)