Thursday, October 9, 2014

THE END OF AN ERA

Here at Salmagundi we lead a very uneventful, peaceful, and thankful life.  But, every once in awhile; there's is a bump in the road.  Last week was one of those weeks.  
We have known all summer that Bob's mother, who celebrated her 100th birthday in May, was deteriorating.  We were called in last Tuesday to her bedside (100 miles away).  Bob and I, his sisters, and hospice were there.  She passed away peacefully on Wednesday. 
I had previously scheduled gall bladder surgery for Thursday.  After some thought, we decided I should go ahead with the surgery.  I hated to miss the funeral, but traveling wasn't an option.  Bob was gone for a couple of days to the service and to help his sisters clean out the apartment; but I got along just fine by myself.  I'm so thankful that my surgery went very well, as Bob certainly didn't need anything else to attend to.
Beautiful mum plant from the funeral

My mother-in-law was the best MIL anyone could have had -- we had a very good relationship for 56 years.  Is that some kind of record? Who has a mother-in-law for 56 years?  She never interfered, she loved our kids and grandkids, she taught me so much about sewing and cooking, and treated me like another daughter (only better).  I knew I was welcomed into the family when she told me I could put a diaper on a kid so much better than her own daughters could!!!  She said that their kids' diapers always sagged down around the knees; but mine were pinned up there good and tight -- oh, the days before disposable diapers.   

We will miss her very much.

Hopefully, next week I will return to my usual blogging schedule.

4 comments:

Jan said...

So sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful lady.

Sue @Rue-Mouffetard said...

So very sorry to hear that Mom Saulmon passed away but what a wonderful long life she had. Boy to live to 100 years old and to have you as a daughter in law for 56 of those years...she hit the jackpot....our condolences to Bob. Hope your recovery well from the surgery....take care of yourself my friend...

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Big moments all seem to happen in rashes. This is a nice tribute to your dear Mother in law. What a wonderfully long time that she was in your life. You're a trooper. Can't be too much fun having surgery all on your own. Take good care and get well soon.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, so sorry to hear about your mil. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman and surely you will both miss her. Thank goodness for memories! Glad your surgery went well and the Mum is gorgeous!
hugs,
Jann