Friday, December 26, 2008

SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS!!

Some random thoughts about the state of affairs at the Salmagundi House the day after Christmas.


















1. Christmas Day is over; my house is a mess!


















2. The refrigerator is filled to the brim with leftovers. For some reason, this makes my normally-organized self uneasy! Leftovers are probably a good thing today, however. After spending a ton of money at the grocery store and enduring a 12-hour cooking marathon, I'm not too anxious to return to the kitchen. Let the masses feed themselves!


















3. The ornaments on the tree are starting to look dusty! Time to take everything down, pack away until next year, and reclaim the house.


















4. Our house revolves on a school-dominated schedule even though we are retired, empty nesters. For the remaining 10 days of vacation, Bob will not be arising at 6:00 am to be ready for a call to go substitute teach. Our single son, the high school science teacher, is visiting for a few days until he's had enough of togetherness and decides to go back to his home and school. And, of course, the grand children are out of school for the next 10 days. When things get boring at home, they will call regularly to see if they can come hang out here with Uncle Mike! I cherish my solitude, so Jan. 5th will be welcomed!!


















5. There's talk about a quick day trip out of town to do something fun. Where and when hasn't been decided. I, of course, would love some retail therapy - don't think the men are too thrilled with that. The Colorado weather may be the determining factor.


















6. My blog-brain is dead! After all of the wonderful posts by everyone during the month of December, what do we post about in January? Even my camera needs recharged - I took over 500 pictures the month of December!


















7. Optimism prevails! We are thankful for our joyous Christmas celebration; but now look forward to the New Year. A new beginning, new experiences; and as usual, drawers and closets to clean and organize. We love this time of the year!


















Everything will be back to normal in a few days, I am sure. I'll return then. Hope your Christmas was as great as ours!






Sally


18 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Yep...it sounds like you need some major retail therapy. I just had mine at Target!!! Don't worry about posts in January. I am sure someone will think of something and we will say...I have that, or I can do that! And just think..Valentines Day is just around the corner!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Sounds like my house... a mess,many leftovers, people "off" for awhile...and me wanting retail therapy! (I just know there are some dishes out there whispering my name!)

I must have my house back in order..so it will happen first (I hope)

I am new to blogging...so no help for January topics..so I am eager to see what others will be doing!

Tootsie said...

I can't wait to reclaim my house too! The kids are happy and not arguing right now...and I am finally able to read some blogs. I hope you had a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

Darling, Sally! Now you listen to me - sit down and rest! I feel your pain, Dear One! There's always next week! lol
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bo said...

Hi Sally...I haven't done nearly as much as you and I pooped too.
I guess that's what we can blog about in January...LOL
Happy New Year, ;-) Bo

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I'm sooo ready to put everything away! Organizing will be what I'm doing in January. Organizing and purgining! I have way too many ornaments I don't use or will ever use and maybe the Nutcrackers will go too! We'll see....

Manuela

Lisa (aka) French said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and here's hoping you get some shopping therapy;) French

imjacobsmom said...

I'm needin' some retail therapy, too. Hopefully, my cousin Jody & I will get out of our houses and scoop up on the deals! ~ Robyn

SmilingSally said...

I've already begun taking down and packing up.

onlymehere said...

The majority of our Christmas decor will come down this weekend. We have several things up in the air and need the space! I'll blog about them later when they're done. I usually leave things up until the New Year but this year it must be done now while I have the time! Sounds like a wonderful holiday at your house.

onlymehere said...

The majority of our Christmas decor will come down this weekend. We have several things up in the air and need the space! I'll blog about them later when they're done. I usually leave things up until the New Year but this year it must be done now while I have the time! Sounds like a wonderful holiday at your house.

Susie Q said...

It sounds like you had a sweet holiday! It is supposed to me messy and full and ezhausting right? *laugh*
I know what you mean...right now I am exhausted and I so want to take all the decorations down and re-claim our house! To tired to do so yet! : )
The fridge is full of various plastic containers...but we all love left overs!

I have to do some posting of my own and have yet to off load the camera or gotten ready to write a thing! Yikes!

Get some rest and enjoy the rest of the week!

Love,
Sue

Judy said...

Good afternoon Sally! I hope the weather in Colorado is not too bad....here it's 70+ which is not normal even for us southerners! All the ceiling fans are going and we're contemplating turning on the AC!!! I've been outside taking down those decorations, the ones inside came down the 26th but stuff is everywhere!

Thanks for the sweet comment about the girlfriends's teeth....if I had the money spent on getting all those teeth so pretty, I'd be set for life!

Have a wonderful weekend and "see" you soon....

Judy

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas sounds wonderful and your house sounds like ours. We're packing up most of the Christmas, today and tomorrow and will take off for the lake, early Monday.
We had tornadoes blow through here today!

The leftovers are finished!

I promised myself a little retail therapy at the lake, next week!

Enjoy January!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I agree some major retail therapy.. I'm ready for some of that myself..lol.. Thanks for all the info on the bowl. I got the magnifying glass out and all I see are brush strokes.. I'm just so pleased to have a treasure of my dear friend.. keep us posted on how your therapy turns out...
hugs ~lynne~

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I agree some major retail therapy.. I'm ready for some of that myself..lol.. Thanks for all the info on the bowl. I got the magnifying glass out and all I see are brush strokes.. I'm just so pleased to have a treasure of my dear friend.. keep us posted on how your therapy turns out...
hugs ~lynne~

The Raggedy Girl said...

What a wonderful pile of unconnected thoughts. I loved reading them all and related to many. You have been married for 50 years!!! WoW.
Roberta Anne

bj said...

Hi, Sally girl...I have all my C. decorations down, packed and put away for another year. I am in the process of getting my cottage back in order (whatever THAT is!!)....
I have frozen most of the leftovers for a day sometime in the future....too many sweets and had to get them "out of sight"!!;O)
xo, bj