Saturday, March 1, 2014

A LETTER TO THE MONTH OF MARCH



Dear "The Month of March":
I see by the calendar that you have arrived.  I kept hoping that February would go on forever; but everyone has been telling me that Spring was on the way.
I've been in denial.  You see, I am a winter person and not the warm-weather type.  I know - I'm in the minority, but I love the cooler weather, the snow.  After all, I am a fourth generation Coloradoan - we love our mountains and snow. 

However,  I'm not the outdoors type either in Winter or Spring/Summer.  On the contrary, I rarely participate in anything out-of-doors (except, maybe shopping).  I'm told this is probably the reason I'm not enthralled with the coming of the Spring/Summer seasons.   I just love looking out my windows in winter to see that beautiful vista of mountains and snow knowing inside my home that it is toasty and warm.

I love the way my house looks in the winter - rather dark and cozy with all of the quilts, wool throws, and plaid pillows.
I always think I will lighten up my decor for the warm months, but never seem to get around to it.  I know that just as Spring arrives, so Winter will return again.
I'm alone in my Winter thoughts, as my husband, Bob, always eagerly awaits your arrival.  Just this past week, he dug up the remaining 2013 crop of carrots.  He's talking about rotor tilling the garden and planting the peas on St. Patrick's day as is his custom.  The Burpee's catalog is part of his current stack of reading.
I've been a bit cantankerous the last couple of days just thinking about Winter being replaced by Spring.
  Bob tells me to get over it -- that there isn't anything I can do about it.
So, I have decided to embrace the season and do better about my attitude.  But, I will make sure the air conditioner is ready to go. I then can cover up with a quilt and pretend that it is Winter again.

Bring it on.   I'll deal with it reluctantly but with a better attitude; and maybe even go outside more!   
Sally

For Spring inspiration check out the following:
The Dedicated House for Make it Pretty Monday
Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday
A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
Nancherrow for Fridays Unfolded

12 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I understand you ! I DO like Spring and Fall, though. It is the summer that I hate / too hot and muggy. But when spring comes, I already start loathing the thought of the arrival of summer, ha ha ha

Well another snowfall is coming ( here to me, anyway ) and so winter is not over just yet, not on the calender nor the forecast.

Enjoy your cozy,stunning quilts :)

Marigene said...

My favorites are spring and fall. You have a collection of beautiful quilts, Sally.
Have a wonderful week...if you are lucky it will snow, again, for you before spring arrives!

Elaine said...

I agree with you. I love Winter especially now that I can work from home more often. Driving in Winter is definitely not fun!

Winter and Fall are my favorite seasons. I only like Summer if I am at the ocean.

I love my quilts and throws and darker colors in my home. I know we are in the minority but I don't care.

Sue said...

Okay....I might go along with you with cold weather and the snow and staying inside looking out and being warm and plaid and comforters and all things comforting.....UNTIL.....I received for the month of January....a heating bill of $720.00.......Sally you can keep Winter right there in Colorado.....keep it to yourself and don't ever again send it to Georgia...I can't afford it.... :)

Miss Jean said...

I saw your comment on Comforts of Home. I agree, we are lucky to live in Colorado! I love all of your quilts as I'm a quilter as well.

Anonymous said...

Well, Sally, if I had all of your beautiful quilts to snuggle up in I might like winter to stay a bit longer too! ;) Very cute post!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Wow! That quilt collection is pretty dazzling! Yes, I do believe you are in the minority with your preference for winter. Beautiful, and a nice place to visit... (Glad you like my new transferware!)

Light and Voices said...

You are blessed with such beauty surrounding you and a husband who loves you and grandchildren to idolize you and a child whose eyes sparkle whenever she sees you. Lucky you! Curl up under those quilts you made out of love and be happy today and always.
JM Illinois

Alison Agnew said...

I'm trying to feel sorry for you, I really am! But I'm just so ready for Winter to go away and Spring flowers to bloom. I enjoy all of the seasons, but I just wish Winter could be a little shorter. Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

Alison
Nancherrow

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love winter while it's here because it makes me think of cozy quilts and muffled sunlight in my home. But I must have some sun and time in the garden or I will go crazy with too much cleaning inside! Your quilt collection is gorgeous!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, you're too cute! Spring is my favorite season, so like Bob I am drooling over seed catalogs and counting the days till I can plant. I do love Winter for the coziness, but boy I can't wait to tear open the shutters and let the Spring breeze blow. lol! I love your plaids and all of your gorgeous quilts. Hang in there friend, Winter will come again! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Jaybird said...

I am SOOOOO glad to "meet" another winter person. All of my friends think I am absolutely batty, and my sweet husband is even MORE emphatic...he thinks my mind is going :^0.
I love winter...I love the time spent in front of the fire and under the cat, who has now deserted me for the open windows :^(
Thank you for putting my thoughts into words!!
Blessings,
J