Tuesday, March 18, 2014

WEST COAST POTTERY

"I don't decorate, I accumulate!"
And along the way, I've accumulated three different pieces of West Coast Pottery.  I don't recall where, when, or why.

 I've always thought that in a home with a mid-century modern vibe, they would stand alone as sculpture.
 The West Coast Pottery was developed by Lee and Bonnie Wollard in the 1940s in Burbank, California.
Even though I'm attracted to these pieces, my home is definitely not mid-century modern; so they are used for their intended purpose -- to hold flowers.
This basket with its fluid, organic design really calls for Spring tulips.

The vases are clearly marked on the bottom, and I see them at antique/vintage venues and on e-bay regularly.
So far, I've resisted the urge to add to my collection.
  I'll just enjoy the three I have accumulated.
I love the way this particular piece looks with my Mother's Franciscan Desert Rose dishes from the same era.

Check out the following for a plethora of Spring inspiration:
Green Willow Pond for What We Accomplished Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for WOW Us Wednesdays
Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday
Imparting Grace for Grace at Home Thursday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Common Ground for Be Inspired Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Nancherrow for Fridays Unfolded
Pieced Pastimes for Saturday Sparks
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
Confessions of a Plate Addict for The Scoop Tuesday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday Treasures
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
Knick of Time Interiors for Knick of Time Vintage Tuesday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

They do have beautiful shapes, no matter what style or era.♥♫

NanaDiana said...

Those are gorgeous pieces. I have never heard of this particular pottery before. My MIL had Franciscan Desert Rose dishes, too. They are beautiful. xo Diana

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

They are unique and beautiful. I agree that the tulips are perfect in that vase. Love the Desert Rose dishes too! Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

Anonymous said...

These are all really pretty! My grandmother had a set of the rose dishes, I always loved them!

Anonymous said...

I also collect vintage pottery, and these pieces are lovely. Crazy about the Desert Rose!

Alison Agnew said...

My weakness is for china, so I can relate! You have collected some lovely pieces there! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

Alison
Nancherrow

Sue said...

I love that fluid shape of the burgundy one....very art deco....and the one with the tulips is lovely...I think you need to buy a few more pieces...you have so few collectibles...LOL...have a great weekend...hope your weather is warming up....Oh wait you love the cold...Let it snow!!

Julie said...

These tulips are stunning in your vase...you have a real flair for floral arranging!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, the tulips really do look perfect for that vase. I love Desert Rose and they look so nice together. Thanks for sharing your collection with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

The tulips are beautiful in that case.
Sherry