Thursday, August 14, 2008

CHAIR FETISH - PART FOUR



I had a very interesting step-great-grandmother on my father's side. My biological great-grandmother died young; and after my great-grandfather raised his boys alone on the prairies of Colorado, he sent for a childhood friend from Maine to marry. She never really mothered anyone, so she was always called "Auntie Evelyn". She was an artist and according to my family that explained a lot of her eccentric behaviors. I remember visiting her once in California; and I was totally fascinated by her easel and all of her paints and potions. She also had this little desk with cubbyholes stuffed with clippings, paper supplies, seashells, etc. etc.


I have inherited several of Auntie Evelyn's belongings including several paintings, the little desk and this quirky chair. It is unusual in that it has a drawer in the seat used supposedly for sewing supplies. However, this chair is so uncomfortable, there is no way you can sit in it to sew. It currently resides in my guest room. Since you can't sit in it, it makes a decent luggage rack!


Auntie Evelyn ended her own life by hanging herself in the barn under very dramatic circumstances. Enough said! Since she wasn't a blood relative, I have always been secretly glad I didn't have to pass her gene pool onto my children. They can inherit the quirky little rocking chair instead!!


Thanks for stopping by,

Sally

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

Ooo, is it a rocking chair too? I love it!

I have a little roll top desk with cubbyholes; it's made of cherry wood and is one of my favorite pieces.