Sunday, April 15, 2012

TO THE RESCUE

Well, it finally happened -- my faithful servant finally bit the dust.  I'm talking about my White sewing machine that I had purchased in the 1960s.  It had sewn a million miles; and I knew the end was in sight a few months ago when it would no longer zig-zag and new parts were not available.   We kept straight sewing together until Friday when an unrepairable weld was broken.  I had hoped that it would last my lifetime, but I guess not.
And, of course, I was in the middle of a project.  So, this little beauty had to come to the rescue.  This is my mother's Singer Featherweight that she bought when she first got married in the 1930s.  She never sewed much so it is in almost perfect condition.  However, it is not the work-horse I need for the continuous sewing that I do.
So, I guess this week I will start sewing machine shopping.  I hate to think about it, but I can't imagine life without a sewing machine.  When you have been sewing for 60 years, it becomes a part of you.  

THE PROJECT----

I was recovering the dressing table bench that goes with my parent's walnut bedroom set (also from the 1930s).

It's a cutie, and now sports a flirty, herringbone ruffle.
I'll always think of it as Mr. White's swan song!
I'll be joining the following parties this week.  Please check them out!
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday Treasures
Very Merry Vintage Style for Share the Love Wednesday
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustard Seed for Furniture Feature Friday

7 comments:

Sue said...

I can't believe your mother's sewing machine still works...and you have been sewing on a basic machine since the 60's......It's time Bob goes out and buys you a new fancy number...one of those big quilting things....I think you deserve a fine machine....you can tell him I said so :)

Marilyn said...

I know how you feel about your old machine. My Pfaff needs a visit to the repair shop. Had to work with Sarah's bargain machine. NOT the same, at all! Good luck in your search.♥♫

Anonymous said...

So sorry to her about your sewing machine Sally! I am not sure what I would do if my old SInger ever died. I would love to have a fancy machine sometimes but then all that fancy comes with cost and usually a computer chip which I am not too crazy about.

You bench looks so pretty in it's new dress! I just got done altering some shirts for our son David in Calif. We pinned them 2years ago and I found them when I was sorting through my material. Also made a cute little skirt for the craft table and am working on a cover for the office chair now.

Did you go to the quilt show? I ended up going Saturday and taking a felting class with a friend. It was fun-

bee blessed
mary

the wayside cottage said...

So sorry to hear about your machine...perhaps you could find another second hand that someone rarely used?

Love, love, love, the skirt that you added to that bench...I have a similar bench that I picked up last summer...I may just have to copy your idea...Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Oh, I'm sorry about your machine biting the dust! It was a good one though, wasn't it? I had always wanted one of those little Feather weights and your mom's is darling! You are a wonderful seamstress and the ruffle is gorgeous!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sally...

Just read your sweet note and came right over, my friend! It was so good hearing from you! Ohhh boy...I haven't started on my patio as of yet but will soon! That post was from two years ago! Hehe! We have started with the yard already though. I think I'll wait another 3 weeks or so before setting the patio up. Just in case it snows on us...and we never know here in Colorado!

So sorry to hear that your sewing machine is past repair. I hope that you'll find a good match for it! Love, love, LOVE your new bench with it's pretty herringbone ruffle! It's lovely, my friend! You're such a talented lady!

Thanks for stopping by today! Hope that my note is finding you well, dear friend!

Love ya,
Chari

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, I'm sorry your true and trusted friend let you down..so glad your's mothers machine is as good as it ever was. Like you I cannot imagine not having a sewing machine.. your bench turned out great!!! Guess where I'm hoping to stop by tomorrowwwwww??? hugs ~lynne~