Saturday, January 5, 2013

CHECKING OUT CHECKS AND OTHER REVISIONS

The year, 2012, was full of expensive projects around here -- a new roof, new outside paint job, partial fence replacement; then the washing machine, water heater, my sewing machine all decided to wear out and needed replaced.  Plus, my faithful recliner was declared threadbare, and needed reupholstered.  Hopefully, this year will just involve some small things to keep our home updated.  
First, on my list is new bedding and window treatments for the guest bedroom.  I can't decide what I want, so right now I'm checking out how I feel about checks.  It appears everything out there is white, light, and minimal.  Am I the only one craving color, dark, and layering?
Just auditioning at the moment -- so I brought in Bob's 1960's wool jacket and my mother's 1940's beaver cape.  (Told you that we hold onto everything!)
  One 30-minute project I did complete this week was a new pillowcase for my neck pillow on my reupholstered recliner.  I used this piece of menswear cotton flannel check from my stash.   There isn't a before picture - it was too horrible to photograph! This little baby pillow was a shower gift to my mother before I was born.  It has traveled the world with me, and I'm rarely without it.  It makes a great airplane pillow.  Do you think I am attached after all of these years?
 In an effort to update the little things, I also did this 1-hour project this week.  This chandelier provides great ambient light in our living room, but poor thing was stuck in 2003.
It was a bit 'frou-frou' for our now more casual style.  So, I removed the cord cover; cut the beads off the shades; then spray painted the fabric with ordinary flat black paint.
I have more small updates planned around the house, but for now I'm involved in another revision.  If any of you have been involved in publishing, you know that deadlines are usually short -- as in "drop everything else, and do it now" short.  I have one of those deadlines, as I edit a condensed version of one of my books for publication into a booklet form.  I'll be back when I'm done pouring over the book!

I'm joining the following:
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday
Creative Cain Cabin for Budget Decorating Party Tuesday
Vintage on a Dime for Welcome Home Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
No Minimalist Here for Thursday Open House
Common Ground for Be Inspired Friday

16 comments:

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

I hope you do just have some minor fun updates this year! Boy you did a lot in 2012!! I love all your brown and white pretties!!! The cord covers are great!
Karen

Marilyn said...

I'm trying to edit my piles around the house. I keep saying I'm not taking any more stuff downstairs without going through it first! So far it has been working, except now the pile of stuff that is close to the basement door means I can no longer get to the laundry room without watching every step VERY carefully! I guess it's time to take some things down. I'm ready for a countdown until May!♥♫

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh the shades turned out great! What a smart and cost effective idea!

bj said...

I love the layering of the jacket and shirt...sooo neat. Also love that NEW chandy...it looks so modern and up to date...and for only the cost of a can of spray paint. Love it.

and, yep, Mr Sweet and I eat a lettuce, cottage cheese and pineapple salad every month or so...we love it and both grew up with it....which is why we like it. hahhaa

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, you did have a lot of things to conquer in '2012'. I think this year will be that year for hubby and I. We are finishing our basement. Although, we have done something on our home every since we bought it in '2009'. Hubby asks? Will it ever end? I say, as long as you have a home ther are improvements. Good thing he is such an easy going guy. Love the lamp transition! Great job on spraying the shades.
Hugs,
Jann

Unknown said...

What a huge difference a little change can make! I love the new look.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Nice little transformation on the lamp! You've definitely met another like-minded person regarding color and layering. I have a lot of dark furniture and lots of rich colors and have no plans to go all white, cream and gray. One exception is my craft-sewing room which has all white furniture -- the room would be dark otherwise! So I like the old red plaid jacket and your other red fabrics.

Unknown said...

I am with you on the dark colors....the whites are pretty...in fact I love them....I also, love the colorful cottage look....BUT, I always come back around to red, blues, in dark tones......very cozy I think!!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

I love buffalo check and plaid! This time of year it seems so cozy and comfy :)

Visiting from Tweak it Tuesday!

Tammy
ourneckofthewoods.net

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Sally! Oh, I love your chandy makeover! I would never have thought of pray painting the shades and they look great. Sorry you had so many have to redoes this past year and more enjoyable and less expensive ones this new year! My best wishes for your book.
Thank you for popping in to see me and your sweet comments.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

I love your chandelier update, and I'll always love the black and red check-so cozy looking. Sometimes little changes make such a difference in how a space feels!

Jeanette

Pamela Gordon said...

I really like your style and the chandelier update looks much better with it's updated look. I love what I can see of your china and hutch too. Blessings, Pamela

Julie Marie said...

Love your checks and plaids!... I was starting to think I am the only one in blogland who does not have an all white house... love white but need color as well... and I too LOVE natural woods and layering... your light looks fabulous!... popped over from Debra's party... thanks for sharing... xoxo Julie Marie

Unknown said...

I adore checks, especially the red and black buffalo check in that vintage jacket. Bob might not like me calling his jacket vintage though. Mixed with furs, rustic or real, your guest room would look very cozy. I have a few small pieces of red and black buffalo check on our winter front porch I shared, and we also use a red and black buffalo check ribbon on the family room tree at Christmas. Now I just need to find some affordable flannel sheets with the same pattern.

Dawn said...

Brilliant idea with the chandy, it turned out wonderful and brought it into 2013. Thanks for linking up at the Cabin.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Love the chandy update! Everything is looking good! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse