Monday, April 1, 2013

A PILLOW, MORE PLAID

Since winter isn't really over in Colorado until Mother's Day, I figured I had time to sneak in another wool pillow.
This is an old cotton patchwork pattern and technique that simulates woven ribbons.  I thought it was worth a try to adapt with wool and plaids.
I added some machine embroidery and quilting to accent the pattern.
On our recent junking trip to Denver, I found a Pendleton gray plaid skirt for $3 at a Goodwill to include in this pillow with scraps from other Pendleton and Ralph Lauren thrifted skirts.

I also found a great blue and red Pendelton pleated plaid skirt for $2 at a Disabled Veteran's thrift store.  It has about 4 yards of wool fabric in it that I'm saving for a future large project.
I've been looking for awhile for a larger wool throw -- we really use these all winter long, and I wanted one big enough to cover from my chin to my toes.  Found this Pendleton one at an antique mall in Littleton.  
   
It was a good trip -- as always, I had my plaid radar up!!

I'm linking up with the following:
Vintage On a Dime for Welcome Home Wednesday
A Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
Common Ground for Be Inspired Friday
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday

10 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Gorgeous. I love the deep colors...I am a color girl that is for sure!

must love junk said...

Perfect-so clever! :)
Susan

NanaDiana said...

That turned out really cute- it makes me think of a warm fireplace and a cup of hot chocolate- xo Diana

Marilyn said...

I know what you mean about winter being here until May, but I am longing for nice days so I can clean out the flower beds. Trouble is, the warm days usually come when I am in school. Today (a cold one) I am at home during an inservice using a sick day. Friday will be nice and guess where I'll be? Beautiful work!♥♫

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the plaid!! You really are so good at finding it and turning skirts into treasures!

Crystelle Boutique said...

Oh my! That is sooooo pretty! Ilvoe wool..... :)

hugs x

Crystelle

Crystelle Boutique

Donna Wilkes said...

I am still loving that you are saving the Pendletons one scrap at a time!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

As always Sally, I love your plaids! Such a fun design and the quilt in the background is gorgeous! I need to find some plaid bargains. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Sue said...

these are so darn cute....would you believe it is still very cold down here in Georgia...the day I left for NYC it was 27 degrees....so wrong.....
Had a good trip with the girls but it went by way too fast....time to send you an e-mail on all the latest SIL gossip.....

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

These are beautiful ...everything that you do is beautiful! :)

We have had cold here in Western PA until the last week or so..spring's arrived a bit now! :)