Saturday, May 11, 2013

AMBER GLASS BOTTLES

This is a collection that I never intended to start -- it just happened!

About 20 years ago when we were closing out my parent's home, I found this big bottle in my Dad's garage/workshop.  For some reason, I was attracted to it and brought it home.
I love the way it looks with my brown transferware.
Next at an estate sale we found a cardboard box in an attic with about twelve of these Luyties' bottles with homeopathic pills in them - never had been opened.  
Our son, the science teacher, was interested in the compounds listed on the labels; so we gave him the box of bottles.  I kept these three.  The labels really are interesting!  Are you ready for some 'Strych. Phos.' to cure your mental disorder? -- Three to five tablets every three hours.  That should cure something!
Then we started picking up amber bottles at yard sales - they really are cheap - usually about $2.
This past weekend Bob found this bottle with the two little handles and lid with a hole in it.  There are no markings so we don't have a clue what it was for originally.  The Clorox bottle on the lower left below is quite small.  I'm used to Clorox in a big gallon jug!!  Then the fruit jar on the lower right I found at an estate sale a couple of years ago - it is embossed with Wan-eta Cocoa Boston.  In one list in my research, I found it listed as 'rare' and worth $125.  Really??  I doubt it -- I paid 50 cents for it!
The tall bottle below is a Fleishmann's liquor bottle - probably either had gin or vodka in it originally.  The two small jars were snuff bottles.
The number of raised dots on the bottom are to indicate the strength of the snuff.  Both of these bottles have four dots.
I've now become quite fond of amber glass bottles, and am always on the lookout for more -- inexpensively, of course!

I'll be joining in the following parties:
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
Better with Age for Give Me the Goods Monday
Hickory Trail for Efforts and Assets Tuesday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday Treasures
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Creative Cain Cabin for Budget Decorating Party Tuesday
Knick of Time for Knick of Time Tuesday
Vintage on a Dime for Welcome Home Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday

14 comments:

bj said...

O, Sally girl...I do love amber bottles, too. They are so pretty.
Your collection is wonderful.
Thanks for stopping by...and I hope YOUR day tomorrow is a really good one.
And, I want to say that I am so glad we've been blogging friends for so long. I don't get by to visit very often...I am going to try to do better. :)
xoxo bj

Sue said...

you never cease to amaze me with all your wonderful collections...These bottles are great and I love the ones with the pills....with all our craziness in this house we could use the ones that fix mental disorders....ship me a bottle please!! I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day with the kids....

Marigene said...

You have a wonderful collection of amber bottles, Sally. I had a large chemical bottle like the one in your first picture that I kept coins in...while moving it one time the bottom fell out...taught me never to save coins in an old bottle. I also have a tobacco bottle from the same maker, but the dots on the bottom are not in a row, 2 on one side and 2 on the other. The label was in really bad shape so I soaked what was left off. A wine bottle cork fits it perfectly.

srpprcrftr said...

OH my those are incredible. You must have been supposed to collect amber bottles as they keep showing up for you. You have accumulated some really awesome bottle.
I love glass bottles and collected the bluish green ones, love how the light shows thru them. I had to make myself stop collecting them when the little display shelf hubs made was full. We have a small house and no garage. Do have a shed tho and it's full of stuff I store in it til I want to put them in house for a display of some kind.
Happy Mother's Day

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

They are really pretty ! And interesting as well!

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

Your collection of amber bottles is wonderful.
Denise

Audrey said...

Love your collection and they look so pretty with the old brown transfer ware. I started a collection a few years ago and enjoying displaying them in Fall arrangements. I have the one with handles on the top and also wonder what came in it. Hope someone can answer that question.
Thanks for sharing.
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

angela hodges abode said...

I love all these bottles! Thanks for linking with HickoryTrail
Angela

Nicole@nicole-southerncharm.com/ said...

What a neat collection of bottles!I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back! Nicole

Dawn said...

Love your new collection. They look just darling with flowers in them. Thanks for sharing at the Cabin's BUDGET DECORATION PARTY.

Donna Wilkes said...

What a wonderful collection of amber bottles. Love the different types of bottles you have especially the medicinal ones.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, your collection is fantastic! I especially love the ones with the labels. I have just a few amber bottles. My friend brought the first one by for me. It was a gallon Clorox bottle. She saw it at a thrift store and thought I would like it. She was right. Then I have a small Clorox and an amber milk bottle. I love how they look with your transferware. Hoping to display mine in the basement. Would love if you link this to Share Your Cup tomorrow.
hugs,
Jann

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Oh, you have the best collections! The bottles are lovely and it's amazing you found the ones with all of the pills in them! I guess the only brown bottles I can think of Mrs. Butterworth, I think they're plastic now, and vanilla extract bottles! :)
Oh, on my trip at an open market I found a dessert plate - brown and white transferware! On the bottom is says GRINDLEY Staffordshire England. The borders is lovely flowers and the image in the center of the plate has a horse pulling a cart with sticks and a man leaning down tying up limbs from a tree he has chopped. I thought of you immediately when I saw it! I don't have any b/w but it was so pretty I just had to get it.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

WowM what a fantastic collection! Love vintage bottles! Thanks for linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday!
Amy @commona-myhouse.blogspot.com