Wednesday, June 26, 2013

ORGANIZING BY SHOPPING THE HOUSE

I have ample storage in my kitchen, but I prefer to use it for my dish addiction.  Since I'm not that fond of cooking, food storage is secondary.  However, this cupboard has been driving me crazy lately.
The small jars of spices were hidden behind stuff; and I could never reach the cornstarch without getting my stool.  The grandkids were always scrounging for sprinkles for their ice cream and turning everything topsy-turvy.  STILL, I didn't want to forfeit any of my dish storage.  So, I decided to repurpose this card catalog into spice storage.  It wasn't fully used in the computer room for assorted stuff; so a good clean out, and it was moved to the kitchen.
It is now easier to reach stuff in the cupboard.  That white unit on the top shelf pivots down for easy access. It's always been a lifesaver for this height-challenged person!
 The top two drawers of the card catalog hold the large jars; all alphabetized.
 One of the bottom drawers holds the small jars; and the other is the grandkid drawer with the sprinkles.
So much better!

I'm joining the following parties -- check these out for a plethora of ideas.
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Common Ground for Be Inspired Friday
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

10 comments:

Unknown said...

What a clever idea! I LOVE it!

Therena @ littlebitofpaint.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow that is just the perfect thing to fit your spice jars! Card catalogs are getting to be really collectible. Lucky you! Take care - Dawn

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

I love it. The card catalog would look interesting anywhere you put it, but what a great way to organize your spices...it looks like the drawers were a perfect fit. I always love having something un-cluttered and what an added bonus when the solution is this cute.

sweet violets said...

I love that card catalog, what a great idea!!!!

bj said...

well, darling short Sally...this is a stroke of pure genius. Looks amazing on your counter and is sooo handy. Grands are gonna love their very own drawer.
Sure hope all those fires are O.U.T. by now...and so glad they didn't get all that close to your beloved home.

Unknown said...

Love the spice box.
I have cupboards that drive me nuts, too. I look at them sometimes and think I am a hoarder of sorts.
Visiting from Common Ground today.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Rita's Recipes said...

very clever. I use my wood card catalogs to hold all my recipes. They have so many great uses. Yours adds to the collection.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a great idea Sally. I too have a height problem. Good thing hubby is tall, 6' 3". He's my go to man when I need to reach something. I have a two drawer card catalog I bought for the craft room. Thinking I might need to try it in my kitchen. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

What a great idea. I love how organized it is. This is a hard area of the kitchen to organize. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
Sherry

SouthernHeart said...

What a super idea! I'm taking a break as I type from my challenge of organizing my sewing stuff!

Blessings,
Dianne
www.sweetjourneyhome.com