Sunday, September 20, 2015

FLORENCE - THE ANTIQUE CAPITOL OF COLORADO

I thought it was time I did a post about Florence, Colorado.  It is a small town south-east of where we live -- less than 10 miles from our house. 
They claim to be "The Antique Capital of Colorado".  This weekend they celebrated 88 years of honoring their pioneers.
 Even though we hop over to Florence regularly to eat and antique; we make a point of going over during Pioneer Days as they sponsor an open air junk/antique market, a steampunk market, and bargains in the shops.
The two main blocks are full of antique stores on both sides of the street.  There are more shops scattered in other blocks, as well.
These are our favorite places to eat -- Quincy's (an evening steak and prime rib place); The Aspen Leaf (sandwiches, soup, salad and baked goods); and the Japanese place.  Our son who has traveled to Japan several times deemed it very good.
 But, let's do some shopping first!

 This is Colorado - the Wild, Wild West!
No, I didn't buy that brown transferware pitcher -- out of my price range at $79.

Some of the dealers and building owners live 'above the store'.  We toured the upstairs of this building at last year's Christmas home tour. The Wilson Block was a former hotel in its heyday.  The upstairs apartment is fabulous with about 4000 square feet, an atrium, beautiful stairway, and a newly-installed elevator.  I lost track of the number of bedrooms; and the owners have a wonderful art collection!
 If you are in the area, it is worth the stop to walk down main street to shop and eat.

I'm joining the following:

Smiling Sally for Blue Monday
Confessions of a Plate Addict for The Scoop Tuesday
A Southern Day Dreamer for Outdoor Wednesday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday

9 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Hi Sally,

I love this tour! My grandson (Zachary) lives in Ft. Collins. I wonder how far away he is from you. Thanks for making Blue Monday special.

Happy Blue Monday!

LV said...

I have made several trips to Colorado over the years, but missed this place. Just the kind of town I would love to see.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Old downtowns are great for blues!

Blue/Favorite Haiku

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun place to visit! I would be at Quincy's to eat:)

joyh82 said...

Cool, one of my favorite past times, antiquing!
Have a great week :)
Joy @ Books and Life

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful photo tour of a fascinating event and place ~ thanks,

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I enjoyed reading about Florence, Co, a town I have not yet visited.Happy Blue Monday!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Oh, what a sweet town. I'd love to visit and tour around the shops with you! Nice restaurants too. You know, we are having a hard time finding good places to eat up here! Waa. I'm cooking more at home now. Thanks for popping in to see me and hope you're doing well.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sally, this sounds like a place hubby and I love. I am pinning and would love to visit during their Pioneer celebration some time! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann