Sunday, October 25, 2015

COZYING UP THE PORCH


When Fall is here and the weather turns chilly, we usually clean the porch cushions and pack them away for the Winter.
But this year since our home will be on a local charity home tour in December, I decided to cozy up the porch a little for this Winter.

I made some new pillow covers out of a beige, black, and red plaid flannel.  Thought they would look good with a rustic Santa and a wonky tree we have planned to place on the porch table.
I kept them simple. The flannel from Jo-Ann's is a nice quality, washed well and was on sale for $5 a yard (plus I had a 20% off entire purchase coupon).  Not bad for two pillows and a cushion cover for under $10.00.
I'm also using the plaid to recover the cushion (not shown) on the big wicker chair.  It's not done, yet, as I had to go out of town (100 miles round trip) to get a 28" zipper.
That's all right as it gave us an excuse to have lunch at The Olive Garden ($)
and for me to go to the quilt stores ($$$).  

We won't count the expense of the trip to buy a $2.50 zipper into the cost of cozying up the porch!

Edited to add:
Finished the cushion cover!

I'm joining with:

Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

9 comments:

Susie Q said...

So pretty. You are so talented Sally. I envy your sewing prowess!
Love, Sue

Sandi Magle said...

Ah, Classic. This will be a great backdrop for your Christmas ideas!

I've been watching at my favorite thrift stores for throws and drapery fabrics to Fallify my porch cusions, but I have 3 chairs a settee and a chaise and dining chairs...yes it's big.

I will certainly think of flannel now for next year for Christmas...great idea!

Sandi

Sarah said...

Working on doing the same around here. Nothing like a cozy tartan throw.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Oh, your new pillow covers look lovely and I would love to come to your home tour. I do hope you'll take snaps for us. What a sweet story about your granddaughter's bride's costume! You are one wonderful grandmother to think about getting a portrait made of her! :) That's a memory she'll never forget.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Really a cozy feel Sally. I love it! I'm laughing at the 100 mile trip for $2.50 zipper. Hopefully you got to go to Olive Garden and had some fun along the way! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I am sad with you about the treehouse coming down. We just spend a couple of days with our grandgirls in Southern NM. It takes no time at all for them to grow so much. We just can't spend enough time with them. But moving on! Your porch will look fantastic. Love the red and black plaid. I had to laugh over your trip for a zipper. Sounds all too familiar! Happy November!

the cape on the corner said...

loving the colors in here!
b

The Charm of Home said...

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Sally, hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring your lovely plaid porch at SYC this week.
hugs,
Jann