Wednesday, June 28, 2017

CELEBRATING THE FOURTH OF JULY WITH A TOUCH OF 20TH CENTURY PATRIOTISM


My great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents never hesitated to declare their opinions about politics and patriotism.
I inherited several of their items that are indicative of their participation in support of this country.  Here are a few items to remind me of my important heritage.
A collection of pins and WWII memorabilia ---


Included is a Carrie Nation hatchet stickpin that belonged to my great-grandmother who supported the temperance movement in the early 20th century and a pin belonging to my father supporting Eisenhower for president in 1956.  My grandfather held a couple of elected local offices, and the lapel pin of the elephant holding the flag belonged to him.  
The grade school picture is of me during WWII holding an American flag.  In my great-grandparent's belongings I also found several 48-star American flags plus a couple of Betsy Ross cards.   
Draft registration cards --- my grandfather's from WWI and my father's from WWII --- both showing agriculture deferments. They were required to stay home to grow food to support the war effort.
My grandfather won a national award for superior achievement in agriculture for his contribution to the war effort presented to him in Oklahoma in June 1943 by the Skelly Company.  "Food will win the war --- Food will write the peace."

Even though I was quite young, I remember this as a big deal in our community.  This picture was taken of the family on the day the award was celebrated locally with my cousins in their little military outfits and me in my red, white, and blue outfit.

Just a reminder to me that everyone has a responsibility to do what they can for the betterment of our country. 

Have a joyous Fourth of July in celebration of this wonderful country.

I'm joining the following:
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Rattlebridge Farm for Foodie Friday and Everything Else
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday


6 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hey! Hope you're well! This is a very nice 4th of July tribute. Some special family mementos and a great way to display them. I especially like the family photo.

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

This is such a neat collection. I am visiting you from Share Your Cup.

Carrie said...

I have some of the same plates. Wonderful post. (4th of July is one of my favorite holidays).

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my Sally, it is amazing that you have these fabulous heirloom pieces that represent our country. What treasures each one of them are as is the stories behind them!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what precious memories!!! and the stories.... what a treasure!

The Charm of Home said...

How wonderful is your collection! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.