Saturday, April 6, 2019

TARTAN DAY

I couldn't let Tartan Day pass without a post.  My addiction to plaid has been well documented!

Before surgery a couple of weeks ago, I was working on a new, small quilt from my plaid and wool fabric stash.  My main source of plaid wool has long been the thrift stores.  Back in 2014, I ran across this tartan skirt, and I couldn't pass it up for just $6.00.
The label said it was from Scotland! I deconstructed the garment; then felted it by washing it in hot water, then finished the process in a hot dryer.  This makes the fabric soft and keeps it from fraying -- perfect for appliqueing.

 Here is the project using the plaid for the applique background.
 Now, that I'm on the road to recovery from surgery, I hope to finish it up soon.
Until then, Happy Tartan Day --- add a little plaid to your life!!


3 comments:

Terra said...

That is beautiful and great to recycle the gorgeous plaid.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Very clever! Beautiful too! Get well soon. J.

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh Sally, that is so beautiful. I LOVE to repurpose fabric. (I think I see why your grandson has a kilt!)