Friday, December 31, 2010

MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY

Yes, New Year's Day is my favorite holiday. Let me explain!

I'm not a very celebratory person. All of the other major holidays actually fill me with dread. I know I'm weird; a psychologist could probably get to the bottom of it for me, but I don't need to know why. It probably has something to do with the fact that I was an only child with very little extended family. Yea, blame it on my parents!

Back to the lack of a celebration personality--- My entire adult life, I have been a wife, then a mother and grandmother; and have always felt the need to do my part to fulfill the expectations of others on holidays. There is all of the cooking (my least favorite thing to do) and the getting together with in-laws, out-laws, kids, etc. etc. I'm not the most social person and thoroughly enjoy being alone, so everything is a chore for me.
That brings us to New Year's Day. In our family, there are no expectations. We have no food traditions and no history of get-togethers. Just a day of whatever happens - NO EXPECTATIONS! My favorite kind of holiday!
I have compensated for my 72 years of not being a big occasion celebration person by trying to find joy in the little things of every single day. So my wish for you is that 2011 brings you some bit of joy and happiness every day of the year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Have an absolutely wonderful day! I have an invitation to supper tonight as we didn't get to go last night, but am seriously thinking about staying home! My word for 2011 is "SIMPLIFY" and I can work in my bedroom all day long, if I cancel! I'm planning on getting busy right after I clear a path to my dog--have to get out the back door first. The snow always drifts so high!

Happy New Year! ♥♫