Tuesday, December 14, 2010

TUCK-IN GIFTS

Even though glue, glitter, and I have never learned to play together very well; I usually attempt some sort of Christmas craft every year. It usually involves decoupage, as I do love papers and stickers. This year I decided to try some decoupaged ornaments to use as tags on packages. I purchased some thin wooden shapes at JoAnn's; decoupaged with some paper and stickers; then hot-glued some trim around the edges.


My favorite 'tuck in' gift usually is a paper-piecing project. I learned about paper-piecing several years ago when I worked as a quiltmaker. There are lots of patterns out there, but my favorites have always been from Irene Berry, a former editor and now contributor to Quilter's Newsletter magazine. Her patterns are usually 3" square, a perfect size to embellish kitchen towels or potholders. There can be as many as 20 or so pieces in each 3" square, so sometimes the patches are as small as a fingernail. They are easily sewn, however, by using the paper-piecing technique.

I made these two bird towels to 'tuck in' with home-made candy for a friend's Christmas.

Things are progressing well here at the Salmagundi household. The shopping is done and wrapped, the decorating is as done as it is going to get, and the house is clean. I've been making cookies to put in the freezer, and am starting to plan menus for next week. It is such a pleasure to prepare for the celebration of the birth of our Savior.
May your preparations be as joyful!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

What lovely creations & gifts ... there will be some very happy recipients.

Have a lovely winter's day ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Marilyn said...

It's going to be a mad rush around here next week! The towels are sweet with the birds, I think I have a pattern or two for someday.

You'll have to ask Mike what he won last night at our staff holiday party. I didn't get to see what was in his box! My table only had one winner, I think our tickets all fell into a crack so no one was able to pick us for winners!!

Brr... cold weather is here. No snow, though. ♥♫

bj said...

O, I love this post, Sally girl.
Our household is in ready, too. After school is out, next week some of the grandgirls will come over to make Christmas cookies and candy. I have some in the freezer but always save some for them to do. They are my sunshine.:)

I love your little tuck-ins. I am not crafty at all so I stay away from glue guns...they tend to HURT me. :)
Merriest Christmas season.
xo bj

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what a thoughtful and lovely idea. So creative. Now if I were just a little more crafty. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! I love your sweet vintage looking gifts tags you've made! Mighty pretty hanging on the bag. Now those little pieced squares are so precious. I've done paper piecing in scrapbooking but never thought of it with fabric.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Cute cute towels and tags. I wish I was organized like you. I have the shopping done, but nothing is wrapped. I need to grocery shop and figure out what the heck we are eating on Christmas and how much do I want to fix. More cleaning to do and I don't know how two people make so much dirty laundry!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Such darling "BIRDIE" towels. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Blessings,
Linda

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Sally, what a cute name for the extras you give - "tuck in gifts". Love your pretty, sparly ornament cards! I don't believe you haven't always been friends with glitter, glue, etc. These are beautiful. And such pretty towels. Don't tell me you aren't a crafty gal! Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas. laurie

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I adore your "tuck-in" gifts. What a super idea. I'll have to try and remember this for next year. What a wonderful way to show your love. hugs ~lynne~

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

How fun Sally and what cute ideas you do come up with...I hope you have a GREAT weekend my Dear friend..Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria