Saturday, January 27, 2018

ARCHITECTURAL INSPIRATION


The plot of land half way between my high school and downtown Canon City, Colorado was occupied by the county courthouse, a staid 19th century building.  But, when I returned to live here as an adult in 1979, it had been replaced by a new courthouse designed by architects Nixon and Jones in 1962.  They were inspired by the triangular and linear shapes of the nearby mountains to include triangular motifs in their design.

What continues to fascinate me is the juxtaposition of the courthouse and its neighbor across the street ---- the Presbyterian Church with its triangular spire that was built in 1900.  The two buildings that span over a half century difference in age contain the same architectural triangle motif.

I was first made aware of architectural juxtaposition when I.M. Pei designed a building for the Zeckendorf Plaza in Denver.  I visited it many times and the modern design was stunning against the traditional buildings along 16th street.  I am saddened by the dismantling of the building in the 1990s (in the name of progress??).
Google image of Zeckendorf Plaza
I also loved seeing architect Pei's addition to the Louvre in Paris, the ultimate in juxtaposition!
Google Image of Pei's addition to the Louvre in Paris

Inside of the Pei addition to the Louvre

I was also blown away by the Gherkin Building designed by Sir Norman Foster in 2004 juxtaposed against the gray sky of London.
Gherkin Building as seen from the London Eye
As a quiltmaker, I have always been inspired by my life experiences; in this case, architecture based on triangles.  My latest small quilt is a minor effort at juxtaposition ---- a modern architectural triangle in a traditional quilt setting.
I can never hope to achieve the magnificence of great architects with my limited knowledge and abilities----- 

 
----- but, when working on this quilt it was fun to relive visits to some great architectural achievements.  For more information about this quilt, check on my quilting blog, https://qbits-salmagundi.blogspot.com/2018/01/architectural-juxtaposition.html (click here).

I'm joining Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday

3 comments:

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my dear, you may not be an amazing architect, but when it comes to quilting you are fabulous! A triangle, inside of a triangle? No easy feat, I'm sure! It saddens me when they tear down an old building with so much history to build a new one. They recently did that in my home town. But, oh well; I guess that's progress! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Jeanie said...

I see exactly where you are coming from! The triangle is a wonderful shape and you certainly saw the best and interpreted them well.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What a wonderful design! And what satisfaction it must give you. I enjoyed hearing about your mother's influence on your farmhouse style. You make my case that everybody kind of has their own version. I admire your strong family ties.