Friday, May 11, 2018

REMEMBERING MOTHER ----

My mother and I had a wonderful, easy-going relationship for 55 years.  She had graduated from Junior College at age 17, married at 18, and had me, her only child, at 19.

We grew up together!

She always took great care of my physical needs, including the bane of her existence -- my unruly, curly, cowlick-laden hair.  I learned to sit still at an early age while she tried to work her magic on my hair.  For years and years into my adulthood, she would still lovingly touch my hair.
THE hair at age 3!

We were always a great shopping duo, probably because she was always so generous.  Guess I was just a little spoiled!

But, she also gave me the confidence to know I could accomplish anything I wanted. 

When I went to grade school, she realized her dream of having a job and using her education.  She enjoyed a career that spanned 40 years advancing in the federal government. This is a picture of Mother at her retirement party.

But, she never forgot about the responsibilities of motherhood.  She was always there for me, and she thoroughly enjoyed my kids. I know, had she lived, she would have delighted in my grandchildren, also.

 I don't have a single picture of her and me in later years --- I was always the one taking the pictures, and regrettably missed the opportunity to have one taken of us together.

I miss you, Mother, every day!


(After having both a biological child, and an adopted child, I was told, "Caring and sharing, not bearing, makes you a Mother.")

So, to all women out there, Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Simply beautiful. How blessed you were to have such a close and loving relationship with your sweet mom. She obviously adored here little girl! Thank you for sharing your story and the lovely pictures.