Sunday, October 28, 2018

ANTIQUING

A trip to Denver never disappoints!

I had a quilt meeting in Denver on Saturday; and while I did my thing, my husband met our son to walk around a couple of favorite antique malls.  We met up again for lunch at a good Japanese restaurant.  They reported that they had seen a bunch of brown transferware; and that's all I needed to hear!

After eating, we headed back to the antique mall so I could check the dishes out.  
What they had seen were nice, but a little pricey for early 20th century transferware.
BUT, in another booth my eagle eye spied this 19th century beauty ---










A large 11" x 15" platter (platters are my weakness) ---










with a beautiful 
scene ---
and exquisite tracery ---
with beautiful borders.
This is the mark on the back.  The kite mark indicates it was made on January 13, 1883.  Transferware from the Aesthetic Movement era is my favorite.
Probably more than I should spend; but with 25% off, I couldn't resist.
Hey, it's anniversary, birthday, and Christmas time of the year !!!!

I'm joining the following:
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
Have a Daily Cup for Share Your Cup Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

5 comments:

Jan said...

Beautiful!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

So detailed and crisp and OLD. Great find Sally.
Joy

suzieQ said...

I have a weakness for pieces from the Aesthetic Movement, too. I almost feel that I NEED to rescue them, especially if I find any at Goodwill. Enjoy your gift to yourself since it is much wiser to purchase something you love and will enjoy.

Constance said...

It is absolutely beautiful. I seldom find brown or black transfer ware but I've wanted to add some pieces of it to my collection of white ironstone for years, I recently found one beautiful piece and I did purchase it but it's a Johnson's Brothers brown transfer ware chamber pot. I will display as it is lovely but not with my white ironstone tableware. Congratulations on finding your lovely platter.

Constance

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Oh my! What a wonderful platter! I simply love the little village scene. Great find.