Sunday, July 18, 2010

METAMORPHING A SKIRT INTO A PILLOW


I'm slowly working on my winter pillow project. Since I've always wanted wool pillows for my living room to use in the winter, I decided I needed an early start to get it done this year. You can check here and here for posts about my efforts so far.

My challenge was to do them 'on the cheap', so I regularly check at the thrift stores for wool clothes or yardage that would be suitable.
My daughter told me one day she was going to make a run to Goodwill to donate some of her work clothes from several years ago. She has been a stay-at-home mom for four years now, and had no use for them any more. I was excited as I told her that was what I always checked for at Goodwill. So, we cut out the middle man and she brought me three wool skirts - two from Ralph Lauren and a Pendleton!
I loved this red plaid, so the wheels began to turn.
The other Lauren skirt had these classic Ralph Lauren leather fasteners on it, so I combined the two skirts to make this pillow.

I'm already thinking about what my next pillow will be!

I'm linking up with Susan at Between Naps on the Porch
for Metamorphosis Monday.

7 comments:

Marigene said...

What a fabulous pillow...love the little buckles.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, Sally! How pretty and what a great idea! Now you've got me thinking about a "teacher" jumper of mine that I have been unable to part with but never wear...would make a great pillow! lol Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Sonny G said...

You did great~! love the buckle detail and the PLAID~!! you are so smart:)

Sonny

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That is sooooo darn cute! I love those leather fasteners on it!

Manuela

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

That is the cutest pillow...I love the little buckles....great use of the skirt!!

SmilingSally said...

I used to sew, but when I see what you do, I don't think it's the same thing! I LOVE it!

bj said...

Oh, Sally...this is an awesome pillow. What a fabulous job you did. And such a great idea. Now, I will be searching the thrift shops for WOOL. I, too, would love some wool pillows for the winter...